You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am having problems exporting a file as a PDF. I use the export option, and select PDF for print and it creates and saves a PDF file, but when I try to view it in adobe. (And our printer tries to view it in his program), it is a blank page. (It is the right dimensions of the page at least)

3RiversforPrintingWetSizeExportTest.pdf

3RiversforPrintingWetSizeExportTest6.pdf

3RiversforPrintingWetSize.afdesign

• Staff

Hi LimelightTile,

Welcome to the forums.

I've opened your exported PDF's in a few programs to check them:

Adobe Reader displays a blank page, this is due to a page size limit Adobe has, if you do a quick internet search you'll get plenty of results with the same issue.

Adobe Illustrator opens the PDF file and displays the contents

Foxit Reader this PDF viewer doesn't have a page size limit and opens and views the PDF.

My advice would be to download and install Foxit Reader or to design your PDF files so they can be scaled up. This would allow you to view the PDF's in Adobe Reader but also print them at the size you want.

• 1 month later...

Do note that any/every print establishment will not be using Foxit to view or print your PDFs. All that Foxit is good for in this regard is to demonstrate to you the PDF is properly created.

The 200" limit in Acrobat/Reader is an artificial one that shouldn't exist. But it does.

There is a means of creating an oversized PDF so that Acrobat can view and hence send the contents to a RIP:

post-255-0-06799500-1486571374_thumb.png

Most, but not all RIPs, can utilize this oversized PDF just fine.

I am attaching this PDF to the message and if you want to, see if your print establishment can RIP it--they don't actually need to send the job to the rip so make sure you tell them it is for testing purposes ONLY.

If you desire to go this route, it requires having Acrobat and Distiller. One creates an EPS file of single pages, then distills it using a special preset. The print providers I have used for large format printing all can utilize such a PDF. But remember, not all can and so they need to test any resulting PDFs.

Mike

3RiversforPrintingWetSize.pdf