You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW to Panoramic and RAW to HDR Merge Workflows

Hi,

Am I right in assuming I should "develop" individual RAW photo's first to perform corrections such as lens corrections prior to merging multiple photo's into either panoramic or HDR merging? If so what file format do you recommend I use when exporting the individual photo's?

Or is Affinity a step ahead of me and performs the default corrections to RAW file automatically when stitching panoramics or merging HDR?

Apologies if this is already answered elsewhere, I've searched and cannot find the answer.

Regards,

Kevin

I'm sorry you didn't get any answer yet, I think the staff is still trying to get on top of everything after the holidays.
And now it's the weekend.

I dug out this video for you, I hope it answers your question.

https://vimeo.com/147727411

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hi Madame,

Thanks for the reply, I have indeed watched that video amongst others, but it doesn't say whether or not default corrections such as lens corrections are made to the RAW files when stitching directly from RAW, and this is my main question. What I may do is create two panoramics, one straight from RAW, the other from developed versions of the same RAW files with default corrections selected and see if I notice any difference?

Yes, that would be my suggestion too.
Good luck, and let us know what you think of the results! :)

(To me it looks as though the corrections are made in the process when the panorama is stitched together) 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

I have this same question. I'm doing a shoot Monday and have been trying out the new HDR Merge as well as the Panoramic processing. I have also watched the videos, but they are not clear on using RAW photos before an HDR Merge.

I did understand from one of the videos on the Pano processing that it is better to do the HDR Merge first, then stitch the HDR merged pics, but it isn't clear on what to do with RAW photos.

In the HDR Merge/Processing video, it says to merge RAW files without automatically tone mapping and states that this is important for RAW work, but the video shows the merged RAW files as a finished layer and does not go through the RAW Develop stage. Denoising and defringing are done on the merged layer using corresponding filters. Video does not show using the Develop Persona at all, so not quite clear what is the best practice.

Hopefully someone has tried this and can tell us the best workflow or does it make a huge difference either way. I'm shooting for large pictures displayed on the web only, so not super critical, but would be nice to know preferred flow for these newer features.

Thanks.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022