You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My 2017 wishes for Affinity Designer and Photo from an illustrator point of view.

I would like to use Affinity Designer and Photo as my main tools for illustration I the future. I have already unsubscribed from Adobe CC and left the excellent Photoshop and Illustrator. Still there are some things that I like to see in Affinity Photo and Designer (Pixel Persona) to make them suite all my needs. I list them here:

Protect Alpha on each separate layer. Just like masking separate layers. Protect alpha is quicker, but both methods are good in their own way. The “global” protect alpha is a bit odd. Never seen that before. Separate layers protect alpha, please!

Free Rotate Canvas, not just 15o,15o, 15o….Photoshop got Free rotate canvas, Clip Studio got it, Painter got it, ArtRage got it…. so why not AffD and AffP?

Line Smoothing. Just like in Clip Studio or Lazy Nezumi … makes line drawing very much more easy when u use bitmap lines.

Pattern Creation tool for seamless patterns. I know you can make artboards to create them … it is a bit clumsy and takes some effort. I guess it is good for vector stuff, not so much for bitmaps, I think. In Corel Painter, it is very easy to make a seamless pattern or paper texture. It would be nice to see a tool like the one in Painter inside AffD and AffP in Pixel Persona.

Pattern Fill / Texture fill. Not only colour or gradient fill but also, just like in Clip Studio, ArtRage, Painter and Photoshop, where you also can make scalable texture and pattern fills.

Blue Sketch. Well, on importing a layer as reference or a graphite sketch it would be very convenient to make a Blue Sketch using just one click, just like in Clip Studio. I made a script for that, but an icon in the layer’s panel makes it quick and easy.

This is all I come up with for the moment.

I wish all fellow photographers and illustrators out there a fortunate 2017! The same for all the programmers and the rest in the Affinity / Serif team. You really have made some great software!

Love from Henry

On the WestCoast of Sweden

nice list, Line Smoothing and Pattern Fill are two missing features, I agree

I can't wait too see also Affinity Publisher and maybe some new ipad Apps like AP.

My request instead is to improving the stability of AD mac. The time I lost in crashes is priceless.

So, add this important "peace in mind" feature please  :rolleyes:

Line Smoothing

Clip Studio Paint does have quite a lot of impressive illustration features. Your Line Smoothing request is my most desirable one on your list, but I would much rather want a Weighted Stroke similar to Clip's Stabilizer. I like being able to draw really slowly and yet have a the stroke drag for smoother lineart.

Protect Alpha

I don't think the global Protect Alpha is odd. You can still use it for individual layers. Just uncheck the option when you don't want it applied.

Pattern Fill

I'm sure you are already aware that this is available because of your description for Pattern Creation. I assume you mean vector patterns?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Line Smoothing

Clip Studio Paint does have quite a lot of impressive illustration features. Your Line Smoothing request is my most desirable one on your list, but I would much rather want a Weighted Stroke similar to Clip's Stabilizer. I like being able to draw really slowly and yet have a the stroke drag for smoother lineart.

Protect Alpha

I don't think the global Protect Alpha is odd. You can still use it for individual layers. Just uncheck the option when you don't want it applied.

Pattern Fill

I'm sure you are already aware that this is available because of your description for Pattern Creation. I assume you mean vector patterns?

Line Smoothing and Weighted Stroke, both would be welcome, of course.

Protect Alpha on individual layers works like masking, you don't have to turn on and off all the time, as you have to with a global protect alpha. In Clip Studio there is "Lock transparent pixels" on each individual layer as well ass masking each individual layers. Both are equal to me, but "Lock transparent pixels" is just one click away. Masking is two or three away. Better workflow using "Lock transparent pixels". A global Protect Alpha is no good from that point of view, it slows things down.

Pattern Fill / Texture fill is just one click away in all the other graphic software I use. In ArtRage I click the fill tool, I can use Solid, Gradient or Pattern. If I choose Pattern I just locate my pattern / texture file, fill with desired scale and rotation. This can be done in Clip Studio and Painter too. Can it be done in AffD or AffP? I do not find that function.

bleduc,Thank you for taking interest in my thougts  and wishes.

Protect Alpha on individual layers works like masking, you don't have to turn on and off all the time, as you have to with a global protect alpha. In Clip Studio there is "Lock transparent pixels" on each individual layer as well ass masking each individual layers. Both are equal to me, but "Lock transparent pixels" is just one click away. Masking is two or three away. Better workflow using "Lock transparent pixels". A global Protect Alpha is no good from that point of view, it slows things down.

Hmm...perhaps I'm not understanding the difference then. From what you described, I'm still able to lock the transparent pixels and just change the ones there.

Video.mov

Pattern Fill / Texture fill is just one click away in all the other graphic software I use. In ArtRage I click the fill tool, I can use Solid, Gradient or Pattern. If I choose Pattern I just locate my pattern / texture file, fill with desired scale and rotation. This can be done in Clip Studio and Painter too. Can it be done in AffD or AffP? I do not find that function.

It sure can. For Designer, use the Fill Tool, and select the type, Bitmap. For Photo, that same tool is called the Gradient Tool, and it can do the same thing. After you select a bitmap, you can click on the lock icon to maintain the fill aspect ratio.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

OkiDoki!  bleduc,

I thank you for showing me around in Designer. I could not find that hidden pattern fill even after searching the F1 help... I was really was well hidden on the inside. In Designer the pattern fill iworks quite well, but not as well as I am used to as in Clip Studio or Painter. In Affinity Photo it is just no good, I have no use for that one.

And about the lock transparent pixels in Affinity. It just does not work like in other software. I really suggest that is should, since it is a more time consuming and not so comfortable as in Photoshop, ClipStudio, Painter...and so on.

Thanks for helping :)

You're welcome.

In Affinity Photo it is just no good, I have no use for that one.

As far as I can tell, the pattern fill is exactly the same in both Affinity programs.

Hi guys! 

I also want and need pattern fill

It sure can. For Designer, use the Fill Tool, and select the type, Bitmap.

bleduc, thanks for you help. But for me it is impossible find the type Bitmap.  :unsure:

post-43598-0-79317900-1483806333_thumb.png

For Photo, that same tool is called the Gradient Tool, and it can do the same thing. After you select a bitmap, you can click on the lock icon to maintain the fill aspect ratio.

I can not see it in AP either

post-43598-0-55913700-1483806334_thumb.png

Hi Ivan, you need to have the Fill/Gradient Tool selected. From your screenshots, you are looking under the regular fill properties, not the actual tool.

This is where you get the Fill Type after selecting the tool.

post-27616-0-21423000-1483807894_thumb.png

+1 on the "Line Smoothing" (and Weighted Stroke)   feature  . Still I believe fixing the brush system/display issues is more important for an illustrator... But yeah, probably line smoothing feature could be nº 1 for people actually drawing, as a priority... I see a huge difference about these matters and any other consideration... yet though I admit those are very nice suggestions.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

You're welcome.

As far as I can tell, the pattern fill is exactly the same in both Affinity programs.

OK, they are, except the fact that Photo got Flood Fill and Gradient / bitmap fill... Still I think the bitmap fill leaves more to desire. That is one reason for me not to use Affinity software for bitmap fill. I have to switch to other illustration programs. In both Clip Studio and ArtRage I can add my repeating patterns with one click or by dropping the pattern tile into the selected area.

The picture shows the tile that I made in AffD that I wanted to fill in a circle (to the left). No success in Affinity. In both Clip Studio and ArtRage the behavior was correct. Maybe I do not understand how Affinity works in this respect but I can not find any help file to learn...

post-32046-0-21328000-1484209176_thumb.jpg

+1 on the "Line Smoothing" (and Weighted Stroke)   feature  . Still I believe fixing the brush system/display issues is more important for an illustrator... But yeah, probably line smoothing feature could be nº 1 for people actually drawing, as a priority... I see a huge difference about these matters and any other consideration... yet though I admit those are very nice suggestions.

Affinity got a great potential to become a good, or even very good, illustration suite. I am spoiled by using ClipStudio and other software that got the tools I love that makes things more easy and quick. Line smoothing / stabilising like the one in ClipStudio and now also in SketchBook Pro. The new "Predictive Stroke makes life soo much easier while doing line art. As an example I did the "circle" on free hand with just one very quick stroke. Straight lines without guides is just as easy as using a ruler. I love that.

SrPx; Still I believe fixing the brush system/display issues is more important for an illustrator... I don't understand that...? Can you explain?

post-32046-0-59213600-1484209149_thumb.png

OK, they are, except the fact that Photo got Flood Fill and Gradient / bitmap fill... Still I think the bitmap fill leaves more to desire. That is one reason for me not to use Affinity software for bitmap fill. I have to switch to other illustration programs. In both Clip Studio and ArtRage I can add my repeating patterns with one click or by dropping the pattern tile into the selected area.

The picture shows the tile that I made in AffD that I wanted to fill in a circle (to the left). No success in Affinity. In both Clip Studio and ArtRage the behavior was correct. Maybe I do not understand how Affinity works in this respect but I can not find any help file to learn...

I understand. The bitmap pattern fills are not the same as customizable vector pattern fills. Well even though I still don't quite get this feature in Designer, there is another option. People previously debated a section of Designer's promotional video because they thought the clip was promoting vector patterns when it was actually promoting customizable embedded documents.

The example in this video shows something similar to what you were talking about, but it's a little extra work. I just don't get what happened at 1:52. 

You can also learn about the symbols.

Affinity got a great potential to become a good, or even very good, illustration suite. I am spoiled by using ClipStudio and other software that got the tools I love that makes things more easy and quick. Line smoothing / stabilising like the one in ClipStudio and now also in SketchBook Pro. The new "Predictive Stroke makes life soo much easier while doing line art. As an example I did the "circle" on free hand with just one very quick stroke. Straight lines without guides is just as easy as using a ruler. I love that.

SrPx; Still I believe fixing the brush system/display issues is more important for an illustrator... I don't understand that...? Can you explain?

I purchased a year license of Sketchbook pro about 3 years ago. That Predictive Stroke caught my attention.