You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove white background via Blending Options (Affinity Photo)

Hi,

in Affinity Photo, if my PNG has a white background, is there an easy way to make the background transparent? Similar to this technique: https://www.sitepoint.com/easily-remove-white-or-black-backgrounds-with-blending-sliders-in-photoshop/

It uses Photoshop's "Blending Options" inside Layer styles, which I didn't find in Affinity Photo ...

Alternatively, is it possible to remove the background by playing with the color channels? If yes, how exactly would I do that?

I know that I could use the selection brush or "Magic Wand" tool to remove the background, but I assume it's "more perfect" by using the blending technique or playing with the color channels. I'm new to image manipulation though, so I would be grateful for any help!

Try

Filters> Colours> Erase White Paper

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi Eroica,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

In Affinity Photo go to menu Filters ▸ Colors ▸ Erase White Paper. This may not work for all colour images without protecting the subject with a selection first as it was designed to remove white from black and white drawings/sketches.

In Affinity Designer (there's no filters here) select the layer, click on the cog icon on the top right of the layers panel to open the Blend Options dialog, then on the on the Source Layers Ranges graph (on the left), drag the right endpoint to the bottom and the left endpoint to the right until the white starts disappearing just around the borders of the elements (they become semi transparent) see screenshot below. You can also use this method in Affinity Photo.

post-59-0-14692700-1465035739_thumb.png

In Affinity Designer (there's no filters here) select the layer, click on the cog icon on the top right of the layers panel to open the Blend Options dialog, then on the on the Source Layers Ranges graph (on the left), drag the right endpoint to the bottom and the left endpoint to the right until the white starts disappearing just around the borders of the elements (they become semi transparent) see screenshot below. You can also use this method in Affinity Photo.

When I use that technique (in either Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo) after copying the image from the SitePoint article and choosing 'File > New From Clipboard', dragging the right endpoint to the bottom gives me a completely semi-transparent image. Dragging the left endpoint to the right then restores opacity to the main subject while keeping the background transparent.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@carl123, @MEB

The problem I noticed with "Erase White Paper" was that somehow, instead of a transparent background I ended up with a cyan overlay (the image's object was 80% cyan color). Although I have to admit I just tested it again, and this time it worked ...

However, MEB's second method worked flawlessly, thanks for all your hints! :)

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

For me Affinity didn't even come close to Photoshop...

The attached image shows

Top - Photoshop background eraser tool

MiddleFilters ▸ Colors ▸ Erase White Paper

Bottom Blend Options dialog, then on the on the Source Layers Ranges graph (on the left).

Am I doing something wrong???2018-09-10_16-20-20.thumb.jpg.f7ac1a45432cbdbfb23a93bc6a786f21.jpg

A background eraser tool across all 3 platforms (as good as photoshop) would be great!

• 3 years later...

One very primitive trick I've used for decades (in Photoshop) is using the magic wand and then deleting. This might cause too much deletion on the borders, though. But sometimes it works just fine.

Paolo