You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I bought Affinity Photo and Designer and want to support a great competitor to Adobe.

I have run into a problem .. I wonder if you can help?

I have an original design in Adobe Illustrator format - attached. backprop_error_example2.ai

I have an export to PNG from Adobe ... also attached. post-47809-0-97592700-1483315620_thumb.png

Then I have a PNG export from Affinity Designer after it loads the AI file - also attached. post-47809-0-14130600-1483315633_thumb.png

You can see that:

• the quality of the text rendering is not as good
  • the colours are not accurate (see the big rectangular blocks)
  • the brushes (object outlines) are not that accurately reflected, they are too "heavy / bold"

When importing I made sure "favour editable text over fidelity" is NOT ticked. I want fidelity. Not sure what this actually dees.

On export I selected Lanczos not bilinear to improve partially the rendering.

Some have said elsewhere that text should be converted to curves .. which I don't really want to do .. but as a test I did. The image is attached. post-47809-0-74417100-1483315644_thumb.png

• converting text to curves (Layer -> Convert to Curves) then exporting as PNG has no significant effect. 

Any ideas?

Going forward I'd like to start new designs with Designer but unfortunately I have a legacy of AI files and I need their output to be consistent with previous exports.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks MikeW ... are you really sure?

I triple checked and the files are different for me.

I've viewed the two files at 100% in Affinity Photo, Adobe Photoshop, MacOS Preview and they all show them as different - different text rendering and different colours.