You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The only complaint I have with Affinity Design and Photo is that I would like to use products such as https://creativemarket.com/PinkCoffie/863256-AI-Gold-Foil-Kit-Essentials-Bonus%21or AP plugins, however, sadly, I do not find they are compatible with Affinity Design nor Affinity Photo. 

Because the above isn't compatible, today I attempted to make my own foil style with the attached.  Are there directions somewhere I am not finding that shows how to create styles? I tried Select All > create style, as well I tried Select All > Add Style From Selection.  Neither worked.

post-26498-0-60816600-1483309995_thumb.png

Make an object w. a fill. Make sure it is selected. Click on the gradient fill tool. Open up the "type" list, and choose bitmap. Find the image you want to use, and select it. Then use Add style from selection. I think the crucial step is using the gradient tool to link to the image. In most cases, the "Make style from selection is after fills and blend modes are used w/o using the gradient tool.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Make an object w. a fill. Make sure it is selected. Click on the gradient fill tool. Open up the "type" list, and choose bitmap. Find the image you want to use, and select it. Then use Add style from selection. I think the crucial step is using the gradient tool to link to the image. In most cases, the "Make style from selection is after fills and blend modes are used w/o using the gradient tool.

Thank you! This worked!

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I'm using AD (1.5.1.43) on Windows 10.  I wish to apply bitmap fills to objects but reading the above directions, when I open up the gradient fill 'type' drop-down box I only have four options from which to choose: Linear, Elliptical, Radial & Conical.  No option for Bitmap.  If anyone is able to help I would be very grateful for suggestions/direction.

Best wishes,

Simon.

• 1 month later...

Like Simon S, I too have Windows 10 but version 1.5.2.58. I can not use Add Style from Selection, nor is there a Bitmap option in the Fill/Gradient options. Are these options actually available in the Windows Version of Designer? Have Serif, transported over the Mac version but forgotten to set up all the features and options?

Hi All, I have AD version 1.5.2.58 along with AP version 1.5.1.54 both windows versions and the option works Ok for me in both.  Using the fill tool in AD and the G Fill  tool in AP.  John

AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X. Nvidia GeForce RTX3060 64Gb Ram
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for Windows • Windows 11 (23H2 build 22631 3235) Home
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2.4 for iPad Pro 10.5  • iPad OS 17.3.1

• Staff

Hi Blueprint,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, these options are also available on Windows. For the style go to the Styles panel, click the menu icon on the top right of the panel and select Add Style from Selection. You must have an object selected. If you are not seeing it can you please post a screen capture of Affinity Designer with the Styles menu open and Layers panel visible? Maybe i'm missing something...

Regarding the Fill Tool, you can access the type of fill from the Type dropdown in the context toolbar.

Here's how to attach an image/file to the post just in case.

I also have AP version 1.5.1.54. I can access Add Style from selection (not greyed out) and Bitmap option from Fill options but nothing happens when I click on Add Style option and although the Bitmap opens up I can still not make a style from it.

Ok, I re-started Designer to get screen shots, and the Add Style from Selection wasn't greyed out and I was able to get the drop down menu from the 'None' fill options to work and that had Bitmap option on that. But like AP when I tried them no new style was made. Same goes for using the Create Style option from the Right click menu when I tried that. I tried this in the Default Styles folder and the new folder I had made ready to make the new styles.

• 1 year later...
On 1/1/2017 at 4:30 PM, gdenby said:

Thank you finally your description was the only one that made me finally do this !