You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.5.0.45 slow and crashes often on Windows 8.1

@ R34V3r

I noticed you are working with image layers in your earlier examples. I don't know if that makes any difference (I'm on a Mac so I cannot test this) but if you convert the image layer(s) to pixel layers, does anything change?

thanks for the reply.

I just tested this without any luck, CPU usage is still high and fragments are still a thing.

post-44285-0-65092200-1484580227_thumb.png

Can I assume Mac users are not having these issues?

Can I assume Mac users are not having these issues?

I can't speak for anyone besides myself, but while some tasks in AP do use a lot of CPU power, I am not seeing any significant difference from what other apps would use doing similar tasks. In fact, AP usually seems to complete comparable tasks more quickly, maybe because it is multithreaded & uses all CPU cores when possible.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

AFFINITY PHOTO 1.5.0.45

Slow on my system too.

System specs:

Windows 10 Home

Processor : AMD A4-5000 APU

Video : AMDRADEON HD Graphics 1.50 GHz

RAM : 8,00 GB

System : 64-bits, x64-processor

Opening  RAW-files

A single Canon RAW-file (xxx.CR2) 23,3 MB (5184 x 3456 px) takes about 38 sec or more !!

In photoshop, opening THREE RAW-files (panorama shoot) takes about 7 sec ... Huge difference !!

Developing RAW-files

lack of performance

Fragments are anoying

etc.

This video screen recording explains what I mean.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

I bought Affinity Photo for Windows as a viable alternative to Adobe when processing Fuji RAF files. Unfortunately it proves to be very slow at opening files and, as many have reported, fails often. I run a high spec PC that should have no difficulty processing any file that I throw at it.

For any Fuji RAW shooters out there my answer has been to buy PhotoNinja and plug it into PhotoShop. It works brilliantly giving fast times and great results. Consequently Affinity sits on the drive doing nothing now so for me it has not been money well spent. I hope a future update will make it usable. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to illustrate the severity of the performance issue with a very simple situation. I want to know if this is happening to just me or others as well. I am having performance issue with both Designer and Photo on all 3 machines I have tested it on (Desktop, Laptop, Surface). To illustrate the severity of the problem I tested the following situation on Affinity Designer on my desktop with the following specs:

- i7 3770K 3.4Ghz CPU

- 16 GB RAM

- AMD R9 390X 8GB OC GPU

note that the issue is just as bad in Affinity Photo.

As you can see, Affinity is recognizing my GPU as the renderer and has permission to use all of my 16 GB RAM.

attachicon.gifperfIssueFirst.png

I started by creating a simple 512 X 512 document and loading a 512 X 512 PNG of a box in it. As I rotated the image you can see CPU usage jumped to 100% with a whopping 80% going to Affinity, If I do this on the same machine in Photoshop, CPU usage only jumps to 12% max.

attachicon.gifperfIssue.png

I continued by scaling the image with shift-down (so no ratio lock). As before the CPU usage jumps to 100%, but you can also see fragments in the image from areas that still need to be computed. Photoshop has no issue with scaling the same box whatsoever.

attachicon.gifperfIssue2.png

So let's stress it a little more shall we? Masking is something I do every time I fire up Photoshop and Affinity, so I created a donut shape and but it as a mask on the box image, I also put an inner shadow effect on the image (something I use a lot as well). When scaling the image now my CPU level is ... you guessed it: 100%. Fragments are now really annoying at this point and happen a lot more often:

attachicon.gifperfIssue3.png

I continued by changing the donut a bit by making it a Half donut, Fragments are now a real problem:

attachicon.gifperfIssue4.png

Lastly, I converted the donut to curves, selected all corners with the corner tool, and rounded them all at once, In this operation there is a lot of lag present and if you wanted to reach an exact corner radius on sight, you wouldn't be able to do that:

attachicon.gifperfIssue5.png

when scaling the image now, fragments are still an issue but a lot of stutter occurs now as well, this lag is on a level that isn't workable anymore.

I feel like my 2816 core counting gaming GPU isn't used at all here and every pixel is calculated by my 8 threaded CPU. I feel like the only way I can have good performance would be to buy a Intel Xeon CPU with a lot of cores that costs 2K+. Note that in real life, 512 X 512 is a small size for content so the fact it has performance issues with this on a machine like this is unacceptable to say the least.

I don't want to bash Affinity here to be a bad application, because it isn't. It's feature packed and in some ways it does more than Photoshop. I really want to make this my Photoshop/Illustrator replacement because the workflow is much more streamlined and more fun. But as a Windows only guy, I feel like this is a bad port of a mac application and the weak performance is really a dealbreaker for me. I don't know if mac has the same issues but if so, they can't call this the smoothest image editor on the market, not by a long shot. I really want this issue to reach the developers and judging by the response on this forum, this might not be the most efficient way to reach them.

I had the same problems initially with Photo, (Windows 7 pro, 8 gig ram, 2.1 Ghz) not the greatest system but Adobe photoshop ran great for me on this system.  After several days of clean boots, disabling other processes to save resources etc., nothing was working and Photo would hang on the simplest things, even basic menu selections would hang.  Before giving up, I uninstalled photo and installed the new beta version 1.5.1.52(Beta).  This version of Photo has been running great from the beginning, everything stable so far, no crashes and no sluggish performance even with my other programs running. Perhaps worth a try.

Affinity Photo shows "Not Responding" then comes good again - it cycles through this sequence often which really slows things down.  It has crashed twice and automatically sent a crash report.  Twice may not seem bad but I've used it only for two short sessions.

I've also lodged a support ticket.

It seems that the development of the windows version was done in haste and released too soon.

Looks like I'll request a refund before the 14 days are up.

Returns & Refunds

Our returns procedure

We want you to be pleased every time you order something from us. Infrequently though, we know you may want to return items, so below is a brief synopsis of our returns guidelines.

Our money back guarantee means that if for any reason you are discontented with your purchase, you can return it to us.

You can open and use items you’ve received, but in order to return it for a refund, the product and packaging must be in the same condition you received it, and the software must be removed from your computer. We will then issue you with a full refund for the price you paid for the products.

Please note, you must contact our Returns Team before returning any item.

Your money back guarantee period

Our standard money back guarantee period is 30 days. If you placed your order with one of our sales representatives, then your money back guarantee period will be written on the dispatch note / invoice that you received with your order.

Please be aware that all downloads are subject to a standard 14 day money back guarantee.

If for any reason you are unsure as to what your money back guarantee is, please contact our Customer Service Team as soon as possible to avoid going past the set period.

I've downloaded the latest, and it's still way to slow to do anything. Glacial. I don't even have the patience to try and crash it.

I too will continue to wait for a usable version. For now, I'll consider my purchase to be a long term investment into a photoshop replacement.

Cheers,

Tim

I think this problem occurs with AMD RADEON video cards after testing Affinity Photo on 3 different systems,

First system: Windows 10 home intel core i7 6700k cpu 4gz , memory 24,000 mb video card  NVIDIA GEFORCE 750 TI   memory 2,048 mb NO PROBLEM

Second system :Windows 7 Pro  Intel Xeon 3360  2.8 gz   memory   8,000 mb  video card  NVIDIA GFORCE GT 220    memory 1,024 mb , a little bit slower but  NO REAL PROBLEM

Third system : windows 7 Pro     intel core i7 3770 3,4 gz  memory  16,000 mb  video card  AMD Radeon HD 7800 series  memory 2,048 mb Very very slow and crash!!

When I installed Photo on both my PCs I had several "Can't write to file" messages re .rbf files.  The install seemed to finish ok but the program was mostly unresponsive and crashed often.

I uninstalled it from both Pcs and several days later I reinstlled using the original affinity-photo-1.5.1.exe which I had saved to a USB.

To my surprise and delight Photo runs perfectly on both PCs - no unresponsiveness or crashes and it is fast.

Does this mean the original installer was corrupt in some way?

Rusty

I think this problem occurs with AMD RADEON video cards after testing Affinity Photo on 3 different systems,

First system: Windows 10 home intel core i7 6700k cpu 4gz , memory 24,000 mb video card  NVIDIA GEFORCE 750 TI   memory 2,048 mb NO PROBLEM

Second system :Windows 7 Pro  Intel Xeon 3360  2.8 gz   memory   8,000 mb  video card  NVIDIA GFORCE GT 220    memory 1,024 mb , a little bit slower but  NO REAL PROBLEM

Third system : windows 7 Pro     intel core i7 3770 3,4 gz  memory  16,000 mb  video card  AMD Radeon HD 7800 series  memory 2,048 mb Very very slow and crash!!

Never thought about this but you may be right. My R9 390X 8GB  I7 3770K setup is lagging and stuttering a lot on simple examples. I installed photo on a friends pc (who has a gtx 670 2GB and a i7 920 setup, so much slower) and he doesn't seem to have any performance issues at all.

It might be Affinity is relying on CUDA acceleration at the moment (as most macs are on NVidia) for hardware acceleration.

It might be Affinity is relying on CUDA acceleration at the moment (as most macs are on NVidia) for hardware acceleration.

Affinity does not use CUDA. If it would, a nVidia gfx card would have been a requirement. 

I think this problem occurs with AMD RADEON video cards after testing Affinity Photo on 3 different systems

Mac Pros use Radeons, and they were primarily developed for Macs, so doubt it is that either.

System specs: Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | AMD PhenomII X6 1055T @ 3.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | WD10EZEX | GTX 960 4GB | Wacom CTL-672

• 2 weeks later...