You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.5.0.45 slow and crashes often on Windows 8.1

Hi all,

I have Affinity Photo installed. It is very sluggish in performance and crashes often. Currently, I cannot use it and rely on my existing tools. I'm running Win 8.1 with 8 GB of RAM. Am I the only one with these issues? Are there ways for me to capture the crashes incase the developers are interested in these?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

p.s. I am not a heavy image manipulator. I shoot RAW and then look do simple corrections such as white-balance, curves, highlights, red-eye, simple cloning to remove small distractions, etc. 

i us a mac pro with 2 dual quadcore Xeon CPU´s, 22 GB Ram and a ATI HD7750 with two operating systems (mac osx 11 and windows 10 pro).

both systems are each installed on samsung SSD`s.

2nd machine is a laptop with 16 gb ram, intel core i7 4710hq Cpu and a NVIDIA GTX860m GPU (windows 10 pro on a samsung mSATA SSD-Drive).

So basicly, working with Affinity Photo is fast and good, but opening the program itself or loading a picture is way to slow.

Installed few days ago, V1.5.0.45. Few months ago I have tried the program on Mac, ran nicely.

Now I needed and purchased copy for Windows and it is unfortunately not usable. Crashes every few minutes, mainly during zoom and pan (mainly navigator). Raw module extremely slow, again practically unusable. While having these problems I did not proceed further. I know it is new product and we have to be patient. Hopefully fix will come soon.

Computer: Windows 7 pro 64 OS, 20 GB RAM, SSD disk. All other photo/graphic applications run smoothly.

A site search would have saved you the trouble of asking that...

Hi Keith,

If you have the time and would be so kind, would you please provide links? I have search the site, but maybe my key words were not appropriate. 

Back to the important question for me: 

"Are there ways for me to capture the crashes in case the developers are interested in these?"

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Hello,

I just bought Affinity a couple days ago. Just started to work with it today and crashed modifying a selection. Win 7, lot of RAM.

This is my crash ;) . Regards.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:    Photo.exe
  Problem Signature 02:    1.5.0.45
  Problem Signature 03:    58480606
  Problem Signature 04:    Serif.Windows
  Problem Signature 05:    1.5.0.45
  Problem Signature 06:    584805f8
  Problem Signature 07:    435
  Problem Signature 08:    3e
  Problem Signature 09:    System.ArgumentException
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    3082
  Additional Information 1:    18b4
  Additional Information 2:    18b48b0a32dde252f1971101f780a594
  Additional Information 3:    b635
  Additional Information 4:    b63566ed53a27d11c214268e0aa917a9

ok, me again... second crash, this time just adding efects to a layer. This is really annoying. Please, this app need more stability.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    Photo.exe
  Application Version:    1.5.0.45
  Application Timestamp:    58480606
  Fault Module Name:    librenderer.dll
  Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    5847f5e8
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    0000000001860e29
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    3082
  Additional Information 1:    06c3
  Additional Information 2:    06c3e69489deba29115f440daf4ffbc4
  Additional Information 3:    63d9
  Additional Information 4:    63d947166e106757eb5388a2ba290f0e

I also have some Affinity crashes when I select help with at least one photo open.

I am running windows 10.

I have the same issue on Win10, Affinity 1.5

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

Windows 8.1, 16gb of RAM - and AP flies on my machine.

Stable too - it has only crashed once since I bought it about a month ago (and never during my use of the beta).

What CPU and GPU are your running on?

I find that a lot of workloads in affinity (from rotating and scaling to applying filters and curve adjustments etc.) aren't offloaded to the GPU but are instead CPU intensive (Photoshop doesn't have any extensive CPU load issues like that).

My specs:

i7 3770K

16GB DDR3

390X 8GB GPU

When I load in the mermaid example from the welcome screen templates and move the background layer or background group for example, this is so laggy you can't even work precise anymore. Is this me pushing the system too hard? because when rotating a 2000/1000 with a Gaussian blur and perspective layer, the lag is unbearable and the program crashes afterwards.

I have the same issue on Win10, Affinity 1.5

I am using: Windows Pro10,

Intel i7 6700CPU 3.4GHz,

16Gb RAM,

GForce GTX 960.

I purchased Affinity Photo 1.5 in late December. I am having multiple problems, slow to load files, with crashes and system hanging when editing. I am also crashing when accessing Help. I have had to resort to PS. 

Of all the replies, only 2 users say they are not having any problems with the windows version.

I would really like to support an Adobe alternative. However, I need to see the developers get serious about supporting their application. I may just move on if there is no progress.

--Tim

Of all the replies, only 2 users say they are not having any problems with the windows version.

True ... but all the replies taken together represent only a tiny, probably statistically insignificant fraction of all Windows users. It is also much, much more likely that users having problems will post here than those having no problems -- after all, why would most users having no problems even bother to read or post to these forums?

There is always some uncertainty for things like this, but unless a relatively large number of people are complaining about the same problem(s) and it is reasonably clear that something else not directly related to the app might not be the cause, it is usually best not to jump to any conclusions.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi R-C-R,

Do you work for Affinity and thus have access to actual statistics? If not, then you cannot assess the confidence of statistical inferences.  And, BTW, nobody is making statistical inferences in the first place, nor jumping to conclusions. For me, the code is slow and crashes often. This seems to be an issue with a sample population of others -- this is why I asked. I am not the only one. 

The Beta is closed, and we are now in Production. Are the developers interested in diagnosing the "why" that some group of Windows users are having issues? Again, I really like the design of Affinity and really would like it to be a successful Adobe replacement. I would be more than happy to help trap bugs.  

Cheers,

--Tim

Hi All,

Just for the record, there are probably more newbies like me who occasionally have a crash, but ignore it as one probably thinks it's something carried out incorrectly.  But having read the previous comments I realised I had also seen it before, so just checked that the problem is repeatable on two different computers:

I am running two versions of Affinity Photo 1.5.0.45 both on Windows 10.

A desktop with SSD & i7, 16GB and ASUS R9 280 graphics card, the other an ASUS laptop i5 with 6GB, both will crash with one photo displayed when you open Help for the second time - repeatable.

Affinity Photo, Designer, (1.10.4.1198); Sketchup

Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit; Ver. 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1566)

Intel i7-4790, 4 GHz; RAM:16GB; Graphics Card: ASUS (AMD) R9280-DC2T-3GD5.

Graphics Tablet: Huion Inspiroy HS610; Calibration: X-rite i1Display Pro

I wanted to illustrate the severity of the performance issue with a very simple situation. I want to know if this is happening to just me or others as well. I am having performance issue with both Designer and Photo on all 3 machines I have tested it on (Desktop, Laptop, Surface). To illustrate the severity of the problem I tested the following situation on Affinity Designer on my desktop with the following specs:

- i7 3770K 3.4Ghz CPU

- 16 GB RAM

- AMD R9 390X 8GB OC GPU

note that the issue is just as bad in Affinity Photo.

As you can see, Affinity is recognizing my GPU as the renderer and has permission to use all of my 16 GB RAM.

post-44285-0-87825500-1484501102_thumb.png

I started by creating a simple 512 X 512 document and loading a 512 X 512 PNG of a box in it. As I rotated the image you can see CPU usage jumped to 100% with a whopping 80% going to Affinity, If I do this on the same machine in Photoshop, CPU usage only jumps to 12% max.

post-44285-0-33232900-1484501086_thumb.png

I continued by scaling the image with shift-down (so no ratio lock). As before the CPU usage jumps to 100%, but you can also see fragments in the image from areas that still need to be computed. Photoshop has no issue with scaling the same box whatsoever.

post-44285-0-88977900-1484501088_thumb.png

So let's stress it a little more shall we? Masking is something I do every time I fire up Photoshop and Affinity, so I created a donut shape and but it as a mask on the box image, I also put an inner shadow effect on the image (something I use a lot as well). When scaling the image now my CPU level is ... you guessed it: 100%. Fragments are now really annoying at this point and happen a lot more often:

post-44285-0-71197600-1484501092_thumb.png

I continued by changing the donut a bit by making it a Half donut, Fragments are now a real problem:

post-44285-0-88194900-1484501095_thumb.png

Lastly, I converted the donut to curves, selected all corners with the corner tool, and rounded them all at once, In this operation there is a lot of lag present and if you wanted to reach an exact corner radius on sight, you wouldn't be able to do that:

post-44285-0-49456800-1484501099_thumb.png

when scaling the image now, fragments are still an issue but a lot of stutter occurs now as well, this lag is on a level that isn't workable anymore.

I feel like my 2816 core counting gaming GPU isn't used at all here and every pixel is calculated by my 8 threaded CPU. I feel like the only way I can have good performance would be to buy a Intel Xeon CPU with a lot of cores that costs 2K+. Note that in real life, 512 X 512 is a small size for content so the fact it has performance issues with this on a machine like this is unacceptable to say the least.

I don't want to bash Affinity here to be a bad application, because it isn't. It's feature packed and in some ways it does more than Photoshop. I really want to make this my Photoshop/Illustrator replacement because the workflow is much more streamlined and more fun. But as a Windows only guy, I feel like this is a bad port of a mac application and the weak performance is really a dealbreaker for me. I don't know if mac has the same issues but if so, they can't call this the smoothest image editor on the market, not by a long shot. I really want this issue to reach the developers and judging by the response on this forum, this might not be the most efficient way to reach them.

Hey guys, if you browse a bit the forums you'll see that you're not the only ones who encountered this. It's a unfortunate situation but for now this is how it is until they discover what's causing it and issue a fix. :)

Things that hit the performance most are effects and live layers (practically what's continuously calculated and nondestructable is a big hit), try it with them off and then on and you should see some difference.

System specs: Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | AMD PhenomII X6 1055T @ 3.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | WD10EZEX | GTX 960 4GB | Wacom CTL-672

you cannot assess the confidence of statistical inferences.  And, BTW, nobody is making statistical inferences in the first place, nor jumping to conclusions. 

So what was this?

Only 2 users in this thread have done this, for the simple reason that most will be happily using Photo without problems, with no interest in contributing data points to a thread about problems

Keith Reeder

Sorry I'm only replying now:

Win 8.1, AMD FX-4300 Quad Core 3.8GHz, Radeon R7260X, 16 gb RAM.

Processing and saving to full-sized 16-bit tiffs from a Canon 7D mk II. 

so if you load in the mermaid example:

post-44285-0-24142700-1484560562_thumb.png

and you try to move this group:

post-44285-0-76811600-1484560570_thumb.png

you don't experience a lot of stutter and 100% CPU load? also with simple rotation and scaling of objects like a 512 X 512 png your CPU stays at a normal level?

post-44285-0-75918900-1484560911_thumb.png

I am also experiencing issues. The program has never crashed on me, but it's extremely slow, basically unusable for RAW editing (Canon T5i - 18MP RAW). It takes 5~6 do load a RAW, 5~ do develop an image, I can see filters/adjustments being applied taking about 2 seconds to run each modification.

I ran it on Windows 10 64 Bits (mostly clean, no antivirus suite or similar programs that are know for eating a lot of resources), my specs are: Intel Core i7 4710HQ, 16GB of Ram, NVidia GTX860M 2GB, 1TB 5400RPM HDD.

Other photo editing suits works fine in the same situation.

I tried disabling DPI scaling (both globally and within launch options), selecting the rendering to be either the dGPU or the internal Intel one, running the app as administrator, forcing my GPU to render it in control panel and changing Windows power modes to Balanced and High Performance. None of these alternatives has significantly improved performance.

It's really a shame. The suite is powerful, and I like the interface, but at the point it is now I payed for something I cannot use.

If you need more information, log collecting, etc., please inform me. I'll be glad to help.

@ R34V3r

I noticed you are working with image layers in your earlier examples. I don't know if that makes any difference (I'm on a Mac so I cannot test this) but if you convert the image layer(s) to pixel layers, does anything change?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7