You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How about a version of Designer for XP?

Windows XP was still running on 10.9% of all desktops in March 2016, per www.netmarketshare.com.  7.4% as of April 2016 per http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-ww-monthly-201504-201604, but either way, with 1G desktops out there, per Microsoft, that's tens of millions of XP seats.

To put that in perspective, per Net Applications’ figures, as of 8 months ago Windows XP was still the third-most popular desktop OS, trailing only Windows 7 (51.9%) and Windows 10 (14.2%).

At that time there were more PCs running XP than Windows 8.1 (9.6%), and all versions of Mac OS X combined (7.8%).

My own machine-of-all-work runs XP, too.  I do own and have installed a copy of W7 on another machine, but don't use it except when I positively must have more memory than XP allows and must for some reason use Windows rather than FreeBSD.  To re-use the comment Sir Tony Hoare made (about Algol 60), XP was a great improvement on its successors.

What are the chances of getting a version of Designer that will run under XPsp3?  Or FreeBSD?

• Staff

MMacD,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, and a Happy New Year to you.

We haven't avoided XP because we didn't think that there was a market, we have done it for technical reasons, as we would love to be able to sell to all XP users.

Windows 7 barely passes our technical requirement spec, but the technology which we use to draw the application to the screen is categorically not available on Windows XP, and we are not about to rewrite the whole application UI level now, sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

XP can only use a maximum of 3gb of RAM - not nearly enough for what most people will use Designer (or Photo, for that matter) for.

That's not relevant

https://affinity.serif.com/designer/full-feature-list/#system-requirements

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

It is common practice to not support an OS once that OS is no longer supported by its author. While it may be true that "there is a market for XP" (debatable btw) the sheer age of XP and its lack of security precludes it being viable in the long run. While painful, every company I know that still uses XP knows the end is near. My advise to Affinity would be to avoid XP at all costs. Sorry.

Michael

Course it's relevant, Patrick - if a user doesn't want (literally or metaphorically) to wish his life away watching an "in progress" indicator spinning ad infinitum. There are users on this forum right now with more than 4gb who are having serious performance problems when trying to edit large image files or use multiple adjustment layers, and so on.

It's a truism that the minimum RAM on which a programme will run, and the amount of RAM required for it to run well, will usually bear little resemblance.

That's why I specifically used the phrase:

"not nearly enough for what most people will use Designer (or Photo, for that matter) for".

Would you agree that I'm going to get a far better "user experience" with my 16gb of RAM than would a user with 2 or 3gb of RAM?

Keith Reeder

the technology which we use to draw the application to the screen is categorically not available on Windows XP

That's a pity.  I expect I'll have to do without, then.  Unless there's a chance you'll support FreeBSD? (OS X is FreeBSD, at bottom)

Thanks for your prompt response, Patrick, and I wish you an excellent 2017 as well

• Staff

MMacD, you are welcome, and no we aren't planning FreeBSD support.

Mr Reeder, it's irrelevant. Currently our software only works on 64-bit Windows. We aren't supporting XP even if someone had 32Gb on the rare 64-bit version of XP. As I already explained XP is 100% unsupported so it IS irrelevant, period. The rest of your argument is beyond the scope of the OPs question.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd