Even with rather moderate image sizes, whenever there is an active pixel selection (tested in marching ants mode), the software becomes extremely slow and beachbally, and the entire OS becomes unresponsive. This was not the case pre-1.5. If it is possible to deselect despite the slowdowns and erratic UI, the performance seems to go back to normal.

This is using the 1.5.1 AppStore build of Photo on OS X 10.9.5 with the latest system updates, late 2008 silver model MacBook, with 8GB RAM installed after the fact and hard drive replaced with SSD, graphics chipset is the standard NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB. Main screen is an external Eizo CG series graphics monitor connected via Display Port, on which Affinity Photo is running. OS is German locale, with Affinity Photo running in English. Activated IME keyboards are German, US English, and the three Japanese ones.

Hey,

same problem here. I have the MacBook Pro Mid'15 with 2.5 Core i7 and 16gb of ram. My graphic chipset is just the normal onboard Iris Pro 1536MB. I'm using the version 1.5.1. But I don't think it is normal that the program lags for half a minute when something is selected. 
I also could not find any sorts of system requirements for the program. 
Is there any solution for the Problem?

Not that I'm aware of. I don't think the dev team has had a chance to address this yet. I'm lucky in that I also have Photoshop, otherwise I wouldn't be able to get any work done right now. Apparently, the App Store doesn't even seem to allow for something as basic as downgrading to the 1.4 branch.

As far as system requirements go – if the App Store lets you install it, it's pretty safe to assume that it's supposed to work. Since the problem occurs even with an empty small-size document, I don't think it is a matter of matching system requirements. It's more likely that it's some kind of bug related to drawing the marching ants overlay or something like that.

Update: The issue is reduced with the Affinity 1.6 betas. It no longer locks up the entire OS, but it is still heavily present.

It does not occur at all after an update to OS X 10.11.6 on the same computer with the 1.5 App Store release. I have not tried the 1.6 betas yet.