You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

For other readers the solution is not to "save" but to "Export"

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

For other readers the solution is not to "save" but to "Export"

Patrick, I don't think you understand what the original poster meant. :)  Here is what happens for me.

Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo for windows

1. I want to save my document as something other than an Affinity file, so I choose Export and choose a file type like jpeg (or any other file type).

2. Choose export at the bottom of the dialog box.

3. At the bottom of the save as dialog box the only option for file type is Affinity files. I would expect it to say jpeg since this is what I originally chose as file type to export as. It       does still save it as a jpeg, but it says it is saving as Affinity file.

I think this is a bug in both programs.

iMac (24 inch, M1, 8 cores, 16 GB Memory, 2021)

iPad Pro 12.9", 3rd Generation

At the bottom of the save as dialog box the only option for file type is Affinity files. I would expect it to say jpeg since this is what I originally chose as file type to export as.

It does specify the correct filename extension, but it's expressed as 'Affinity Files (*.jpg)' instead of 'JPEG File (*.jpg)' or even 'JPEG File Interchange Format (*.jpg)'. The plural ('Files' instead of 'File') seems a little odd, too, given that you're only exporting a single file.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I've assumed in this situation that "Affinity Files" simply means "formats workable in AP (or AD)". 

It's an accurate statement, and it isn't a problem given that the file is saved in the format I want anyway.

It's a confusing statement, as evidenced by the existence of this thread! I think it would be clearer if 'Affinity Files' only referred to the native *.af* formats.

Alfred spacer.png

It's a confusing statement, as evidenced by the existence of this thread! I think it would be clearer if 'Affinity Files' only referred to the native *.af* formats.

Apparently not that confusing, Alfred - this is the first post on the topic that I've seen, and the OP figured it out too.

Keith Reeder

It's a confusing statement, as evidenced by the existence of this thread! 

Not that confusing, apparently - this is the first post I've seen on the subject, and the OP figured it out too.

I think it would be clearer if 'Affinity Files' only referred to the native *.af* formats.

Dunno: I don't think it's unclear that if you select (say) the tiff export option, you get a tiff.

(No idea what I did to end up with two posts!)

Keith Reeder

Dunno: I don't think it's unclear that if you select (say) the tiff export option, you get a tiff.

If you select the TIFF option, it's clear (after the fact!) that you get a TIFF. What's unclear is the the Save As dialog says 'Affinity Files (*.tiff)' instead of expressing it as 'Tagged Image File Format (*.tiff)'.

Why is Affinity claiming ownership, anyway? My image files aren't Affinity files, they're IrfanView files (by which I mean that if I hover over a *.tiff file in an Explorer window it tells me that the item type is 'IrfanView TIF File', indicating that a double-click will open the file in IrfanView because I've set that as my default image viewer).

Alfred spacer.png

Apparently not that confusing, Alfred - this is the first post on the topic that I've seen, and the OP figured it out too.

There have been a few posts in the past where users have obviously been confused with this

There is simply no reason for the words "Affinity Files" to be in that particular export dialogue box, it should just say *.jpg, *.tiff or whatever format the user has selected.

By adding the words "Affinity Files" it looks like you are about to save in some form of proprietary Affinity file format

Mucho confusion the first time you encounter it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

It does specify the correct filename extension, but it's expressed as 'Affinity Files (*.jpg)' instead of 'JPEG File (*.jpg)' or even 'JPEG File Interchange Format (*.jpg)'. The plural ('Files' instead of 'File') seems a little odd, too, given that you're only exporting a single file.

When I do export it says nothing but "Affinity Files" in the save as dialog. It shows no filename type. See screenshot below.

post-31024-0-66898400-1483365795_thumb.png

• Staff

BobsDaubs, thanks and woops

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

When I do export it says nothing but "Affinity Files" in the save as dialog. It shows no filename type. See screenshot below.

Open an Explorer window, go to the View tab and put a tick in the 'File name extensions' checkbox.

Alfred spacer.png

Open an Explorer window, go to the View tab and put a tick in the 'File name extensions' checkbox.

Thanks Alfred,

I wasn't aware that "File name extensions" checkbox even existed. You were a big help on that.

You're very welcome, BobsDaubs. Hiding file name extensions for known file types has always been the default setting in Windows, for reasons best known to Microsoft! (It's great for spreading malware, since you can make a file look to the unwary as though its name is 'PrettyPicture.jpg' when its real name is 'PrettyPicture.jpg.exe'. Not nice if you double-click to open it, expecting to be able to admire a pretty picture.)

Alfred spacer.png

Mucho confusion the first time you encounter it

Agreed - the first time.

But is anyone still confused after the first time?

That's kinda my point. I agree that it's not ideal, but is it a problem?

I mean - really?

Isn't it obvious enough that "Affinity Files" in this context simply means "Files Affinity can process"?

It's not that different to calling an RTF file a Word document. It's not exactly right, but nobody's going to melt down trying to figure it out..!

;)

Keith Reeder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...