You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been using AD & AP for one year now, most of my work is in graphic design and food photography, which I use AP to cut around an image, the choices are either the lasso tool or brush tool; I'm used to the pen tool being an illustrator user for 20 some years.

Most tutorial videos utilize the brush tool combined with the refining method, I was wondering is it possible to convert the marching lines in the Freehand Lasso tool to vector lines, this will be really ideal to fix certain spots.

And would like to hear other opinions what is the best method to cut around in a photo, I'm sure Freehand Lasso tool in AD in the pixel persona will do the same as AP, lasso tool.

Thanks.

• Staff

Hi Yasir,

The selection tools I use vary from photo to photo depending on the difficulty of the selection and quality of the image. Would it be possible for you to provide a sample image so I could tell you what tool I would use to select elements from that?

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

Hi Yasir,

Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape is already on Designer's roadmap and i believe will be also available in Photo. As Callum suggested posting a common sample photo would help you get a better advice as some tools may be more appropriate than others depending on the type of image you are working with.

Here is a menu I am working on, the flames, which I shot, I found Stacking in AP helpful, as I shot on a tripod and took about 200 flames in different exposures and F stops.

I had to cut out some of the flames, I found the best was the pen tool.

All other photos, I had to cut around them to knock off background.

My methods after cutting around ( or as some know it as clipping), if I were in Photo I just copy the mask and file and bring to Designer.

I'm not sure if this keeps the file much larger than saving an eps and place from Designer.

Thanks.

Yasir

post-25179-0-65104500-1483577937_thumb.png