You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I work with an occidental version of Affinity Photo, but know some Japanese and would like to insert a vertical Japanese text into a picture. I couldn't find how to write a text vertically in Affinity Photo. Would you know that ?

And I don't know how to add "Japanese" to the list of the defect languages....

Thanks a lot,

Robert

Thanks PixelPest. I will try the "Frame text".

I previously used (a long time ago, before I had a Mac) the copy and paste method with Photoshop, which worked, but was less flexible. Now, I write in Japanese using the keyboard facilities, of course.

I have just found a turnaround : I press the "Return" key after each character. And it works well !!

Thanks for your time.

And Happy New Year !!

I have just found a turnaround : I press the "Return" key after each character. And it works well !!

Thanks for your time.

And Happy New Year !!

Pressing the Return key is an effective workaround, but a rather tedious one. If you use Frame Text as PixelPest has suggested, you can simply make the frame narrower until only one character fits on each line.

Happy New Year to you, too!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 years later...

Regarding the workaround of adding newlines to every character—while I have resorted to this at time, it is not a viable solution most of the time. First, every separate line of text then needs to be created separately. For more than a few lines of text this can quickly get unwieldy. Second, not every character would be displayed in the correct orientation. For example, quotation marks, parenthesis, and especially the sound elongation marker for Katakana. Also, the placement of characters such as the period and comma will be incorrect. These issues will immediately be apparent to native speakers.

• 3 months later...

While resizing the text frame is a workaround for vertical text in a very limited context to use vertical text for full sentences this won't work. Interpunction "flips around" on vertical text, but unless the app supports it brackets, full stops, quotation marks and extension bars (for long vowel in Katakana) won't, and it'll be all wrong. I wonder if there are any plans to finally support vertical text for CJK in Affinity Products. I mean even Pages.app and macOS lowly TextEdit supports vertical text just fine now. I'm pretty sure at least on macOS there are frameworks to support that text feature with close to zero effort.

To illustrate the point see attached files. The one with the highlights is the fake vertical text with highlights to mark all the wrong places. There also the issue that with fake vertical you'd have to make a new text frame for every single line of text, because in vertical text lines go from right to left.

Actually there are some fonts that are specifically for vertical text, because the kerning and some proportions need to be different than for horizontal text. E.g. the font Kyokasho that's preinstalled on macOS, is made for vertical text, while the 'Kyokasho yoko' font is for horizontal text (yoko=sideways/horizontal).

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 16.24.24.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 16.24.19.png

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, once2work said:

What's PixelPest, please teach me.

PixelPest is a person, posted something a while back.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.