Above, I read an i5 mac with much lower specs than mine resolves the macro in just under 7 minutes while my computer crashes!

Did you somehow miss the comparison data showing Windows PC's that did not crash running the macro, several of which also completed it in under 7 minutes?

This is not BS or some Mac fanboy conspiracy. There are several possible reasons a Windows or Mac PC might perform poorly or crash & not all of them are due to some problem with the app itself. The only real advantage the Macs have in this respect is there are far fewer possible hardware configurations, supported file systems, & to a lesser extent system level add-ons to consider when trying to pin down & eliminate the cause, whatever it might be.

If you are interested in doing that, I suggest you heed MBd's suggestion & file a bug report, supplying as much relevant info as possible. Ranting won't fix anything, for you or for anybody else experiencing this kind of problem.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Does Graphics card come into play with this test? If so I'd like that added to the report (and AP version)

Regards

Edit: Oops I missed the comparison data :D

Does Graphics card come into play with this test? If so I'd like that added to the report (and AP version)

Regards

the test is young so it is only the current MAS version (or the beta which should make no big difference) 

as said I would like to get new data in V1.6 and see if anything changed and compare them

(I also explained how the "software efficiency" number is calculated, why I decided to do so)

GPU is probably not a huge factor influencing performance as mentioned here in this thread previously )

but I added RAM and GPU into the sheet nevertheless so feel free to make your own interpretation for yourself 

cheers 

?? The comparison data does include GPU info (when provided) -- it is shown in the "discrete Graphics" column. It does not seem to be much of a factor.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

7 min 1 sec (AP Vers. 1.5.1.54)

Win10/64 Pro:CPU I7-4770K:RAM 32GB: &SSD

NVIDIA GTX970: Monitor U32D970Q @3840x2160 ; Datacolor Spyder5

Wacom Intuos Pro M

Slightly off topic but since my Win10 machine did fairly well on the macro speed I would like to whine about something that annoys me.

There is a bad (imo) lag between adjustments made and the waveform scope. I see AP lagging in other areas but this one really bugs me. I want to use the scopes to set my levels but the lag is making it very difficult. The changes I make show up quickly in the image but they do not show up at the same time in the waveform display. Is this a known bug or am I alone in seeing this problem?

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD

Slightly off topic but since my Win10 machine did fairly well on the macro speed I would like to whine about something that annoys me.

There is a bad (imo) lag between adjustments made and the waveform scope. I see AP lagging in other areas but this one really bugs me. I want to use the scopes to set my levels but the lag is making it very difficult. The changes I make show up quickly in the image but they do not show up at the same time in the waveform display. Is this a known bug or am I alone in seeing this problem?

I don't have any lag at all in the waveform window.... it never changes. And I don't think it should either. But I found a bug in that level filter. Whatever chanel you select it immediately reverts to Master as soon as you move a slider.

Window 10 - 16 Gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

I don't have any lag at all in the waveform window.... it never changes. And I don't think it should either. But I found a bug in that level filter. Whatever chanel you select it immediately reverts to Master as soon as you move a slider.

The waveform does change for me but only after a delay. I am looking at the intensity waveform under the scope tab. If I make any changes using the adjustments tab the image itself updates quickly but not the intensity waveform. At first I though it might be normal e.g. the waveform updates after you let go of the mouse button but that's not it. If you make an adjustment and keep the mouse button pressed it does eventually update but not in real time which is what I was hoping for.

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

The waveform does change for me but only after a delay. I am looking at the intensity waveform under the scope tab. If I make any changes using the adjustments tab the image itself updates quickly but not the intensity waveform. At first I though it might be normal e.g. the waveform updates after you let go of the mouse button but that's not it. If you make an adjustment and keep the mouse button pressed it does eventually update but not in real time which is what I was hoping for.

Mac or Win ? And you are probably talking of the "waveform" in the "Histogram" window, not the one in the Levels Adjustement pop up window. If so I have a slight delay too.

In PS when you move a slider in the Levels Adjustments, the histogram is updated only when you release the mouse button, not in "real time". So AP does a little more but at the cost of a little lag.

Window 10 - 16 Gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Good to know it's not just me then. I'll give the pop up window a try, thanks.

15:00 minutes

i7-4770@3.4; 16GB;  Windows 7-64bit  AMD FirePro 2270

showed ~100 percent utilization on 8 cores with occasional drops to moderate utilization.

AP memory utilization only ~800 MB,  with total system memory in use ~7.8GB

all the while showing AP not responding.

15:00 minutes

i7-4770@3.4; 16GB;  Windows 7-64bit  AMD FirePro 2270

showed ~100 percent utilization on 8 cores with occasional drops to moderate utilization.

AP memory utilization only ~800 MB,  with total system memory in use ~7.8GB

all the while showing AP not responding.

question is:

why was that PC twice as fast with the same CPU?

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/32907-affinity-photo-performance-comparison-data-sheet/?p=167010

(I don´t know)

Downloaded and unzipped the macro to my desktop. In AP, clicked on the Import button - top right - on the Macro panel but the macro was not shown in the Open dialog. I even navigated to the _MACOSX folder and there was nothing. It seems the Open dialog is looking for file type (*.afmacro) not (*.afmacros). :unsure:

Downloaded and unzipped the macro to my desktop. In AP, clicked on the Import button - top right - on the Macro panel but the macro was not shown in the Open dialog. I even navigated to the _MACOSX folder and there was nothing. It seems the Open dialog is looking for file type (*.afmacro) not (*.afmacros). :unsure:

this

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/32907-affinity-photo-performance-comparison-data-sheet/?p=160061

which links to

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30881-faulty-instructions-for-adding-free-macros-to-affinity-photo-15/?p=159516

should work

cheers and thanks in advance for your contribution!

Times: 

1. run: 4:46 minutes

2. run: 4:49 minutes

3. run: 4:53 minutes (while Activity Monitor open, AP in Background)

4. run: 4:52 minutes (while Activity Monitor open, AP in Background)

System:

SYS: iMac 5k late 2015

CPU: i7, 4Ghz, 4/8 cores
GPU: R9 M395X, 4GB
RAM: 64 GB DDR3
SW: AP 1.5.1

Mac: 1
Laptop: 0 

Workload: 765-783 %

Processes: 322

Threads: 1612
Uptime: 11:22  up 19 days, 16:34, 3 users, load averages: 1,61 5,13 5,76

post-26436-0-35285900-1486117484_thumb.png

post-26436-0-23387600-1486117490_thumb.png

I don't use Photoshop and never used Illustrator. 

Other Machine

Times: 

1. run: 8:52 minutes (while Activity Monitor open, AP in Foreground)

2. run: 8:50 minutes

System:

SYS: iMac 27" late 2012

CPU: i5, 3.2 Ghz, 4 cores
GPU: GTX 675MX, 1GB
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
SW: AP 1.5.1

Mac: 1
Laptop: 0 

Workload: 355-396 %

Processes: 190

Threads: 860
Uptime: 14:18  up 13 mins, 4 users, load averages: 3,38 2,81 1,65

I don't use Photoshop and never used Illustrator. 

Geez, I hate to think I can't follow simple instructions but I still cannot import your speed macro into AP.

Here's the open zip folder right after downloading it. It shows your macro with the extension in the plural:

post-50449-0-75641000-1486227473_thumb.png

I then selected the file and extracted it to my desktop:

post-50449-0-23972200-1486227572_thumb.png

Then in AP I clicked on the Import icon, on the top right of the Macro panel, and got the Open dialog, which does not show a dot-afmacro file:

post-50449-0-72320300-1486227668_thumb.png

The file IS there on the desktop, labeled in the plural, but AP's dialog is filtering for a macro named in the singular:

post-50449-0-26713200-1486228096_thumb.png

BTW, when I check the file's properties, it is associated to Affinity Photo.

So, what's wrong with my procedure that I cannot get the macro to import into AP? I'm at a loss to figure it out.

Thx,

I think you need to go to View > Studio > and choose "Library" and import from there

if it is a "macros" set it can´t be handled by the macro panel because this can only display one macro and although in this case the "macros" file only contains one macro, AP does not know about this yet

let me know if it works out and thanks for your effort!

cheers

Finally got it. I missed that the "Library" had to be opened from the Studio list. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here are my results:

>> Time - 10 minutes

>> CPU Model Year - Intel® Core i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (2016)

>> CPU Cores - 4

>> GPU Model - Intel HD Graphics 4600

>> Laptop - HP Envy 17

>> Ram - 12GB

I only had AP running at the time so it could benefit from the full use of the CPU.

Edited by HaroldL

Finally got it. I missed that the "Library" had to be opened from the Studio list. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here are my results:

>> Time - 10 minutes

>> CPU Model Year - Intel® Core i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (2016)

>> CPU Cores - 4

>> GPU Model - Intel HD Graphics 4600

>> Laptop - HP Envy 17

I only had AP running at the time so it could benefit from the full use of the CPU.

I see why some don´t report RAM, it is because I did not requested it in the first post  :D (changed that now)

sorry, but if you would add that info, I would like to add it into the table as well!

seems like a nice laptop you´re using, hope you enjoy affinity  :lol:

cheers

PS: I added two more pivot tables that calculate the average and median RAM used in the sample computers win/ mac, not particularly valuable info I´d say because just about anyone seems to have "enough" RAM  :D

Laptop: Acer Aspire V Nitro (VN7-791G-506M)

System: Windows 10 Home (64bit)

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 (i5-4210H) Two Cores: 2.90 GHz

RAM: 8 GBDDR3 798Mhz

Graphics: Nvidia® GeForce® 940M - 2GB

Macro running time: 19min

MacPro (late 2013)

6 core xeon 3.5 - 3.7 GHz

32 GB RAM

2x FireGL D300

8:14

Observation: ram usage was very low, GPU was unused completely.

I am surprised to say the least 

the table has grown to 24 data points so thank you all! 

​new input is still welcomed of course 

cheers