Really not a "top Windows PC" but just for the fun of it. (It wasn't fun at all...)

AP 1.5.1.50 beta on Windows 10, Intel i3 550, 64 bits, 6 Gb RAM, 6 years old "all in one" computer.

24 min 53 sec

Window 10 - 16 Gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

I cannot seem to use the macro. Affinity Photo expects the file extension .afmacro, not .afmacros. Renaming the file makes no difference when trying to import it.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit. A modest 4 GB of RAM. SSD. Intel Core i5.

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

Thanks to both of you!

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

I'm going crazy here!

The only file (link) I can download is the macros zip (3.42KB). There are no other links for Help > Welcome / View Samples and the Bang Photography Girl example.

:)  

Edit - OK, Got it! Not sure if it's the Brisbane heat today (about 34C) or my Aussie interpretation of the instructions! I got caught out on 1. Download the sample image - I was expecting a link with the instruction!   :D

2nd Edit - Admittedly I unchecked the welcome download splash screens from both Affinity apps early on in beta so I really had no idea your download referred to that... Not niggling but perhaps the instructions should have been - 1 - Open Affinity Photo. 2 - Go to Help / Welcome then click the appropriate file - 'Bang Photography' example to download...

Anyways...I'm on a fairly high spec ASUS ROG gaming computer (can simultaneously run three 4K monitors  +++ - all with their own agendas). I have no problem tossing 2G multi layered files like they're balsa wood however your macro after running it for 12 minutes...Windows wants to close me down! ...WTF!     

https://www.peterdinnan.com/     photography with elements of mood, abstraction, pareidolia, gestalt and the morphics

HI MBd, Running (playing?) the macro is freezing my computer. I've also attempted to run it with two of my smaller images (around 20MB) however same issue. It won't be a Mac / Windows compatibility issue because of the above Windows posters.

My laptop specs are - ASUS ROG G750JS (2014) - Intel Core i7-4700HQ 4 core* - 16GB DDR3L MHz SDRAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX870M 3GB/6GB GDDR5 - All apps and OS Win 10 installed on a SSD.

*(c & p) - The Intel Core i7-4700HQ is a high-end quad-core processor for laptops. It is based on the Haswell architecture and manufactured in 22nm. Due to Hyperthreading, the four cores can handle up to eight threads in parallel leading to better utilization of the CPU. Each core offers a base speed of 2.4 GHz but can dynamically increase clock rates with Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz (for 4 active cores), 3.3 GHz (for 2 active cores) and 3.4 GHz (for 1 active core).

I should, at a guess, be able to run the macro at about the same time as jburgers... I'll investigate further. Cheers and Happy New Year!  

Update - I'm not able to run the macro on my computer. I loaded a 16MB tiff file (one layer - background unlocked), started the macro and followed the progress in the Task Manager. The CPU load quickly went to 75%, then climbed to 80% after a couple of minutes, went back and forth between the two % for a few minutes then climbed to just over 88% and stayed there. Other than the usual minor background apps no other apps were running.

After nine minutes I noticed AP's 'not responding' notification so I killed the process.

So, either the macro is not compatible with my computer and/or Affinity Photo isn't (for heavy loads). I have had no issues regarding heavy loads with Adobe CS6 and CC (2015), nor with Xara DPX12, ACDSee's Canvas X16 and Ultimate 9. No issues with Serif's PagePlus, DrawPlus (current versions), plus other graphic and DTP software.

I have noticed with both AD and AP since the first betas the laptop fans come on quickly after loading a file - much, much quicker than all my other apps (therefore heavy CPU usage).

Considering my laptop's specs I should not be having these issues. Now I'm considering whether to continue with Affinity...   

https://www.peterdinnan.com/     photography with elements of mood, abstraction, pareidolia, gestalt and the morphics

At the time of writing there's been 36 downloads of the macro (I've downloaded twice in case my first download was corrupted). So, with my two and the other two posted there's currently 32 downloads of the macro...

Would the downloaders please be brave and post their results, and if not why not?

I'm not knocking MBd's macro - I'd just like to know why my system crashes and of course what to do about it... I don't believe I'm the only one who has this issue (!) 

Sorry not to have reported the results on my system: 27 minutes and a few seconds. Ordinary harddisk (non-SSD). Resetting or backtracking the macro is instantaneous. No errors, although it would have been nice to get an indication of progress. I have not monitored AD's use of resources.

Thanks Nils for posting, I see your computer specs are fairly modest and would expect your time for the macro to be, I guess, reasonable for those specs...

So, I'm more confused now. As posted I have an ASUS ROG gaming machine (2014). It was in the top three of the best laptops for photo imaging and graphic design work then (and remains so with each successive model including current - Google it!).

I didn't buy it for gaming, I don't game and have none installed, I bought it purely for image processing and graphic design work and have had no issues (as pointed out above) until the Affinity apps. 

For some unknown reason the Affinity apps (Photo in particular) is not in harmony with my laptop.

Oh, I should point out, I maintain, pedantically, appropriate housekeeping with this machine   ;)   

Mac Pro (Early 2008). 2 x 2.8GHz Quad Core Intel Zeon. 28GB 800MHZ RAM. Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB Video Card.

Ran perfectly. No issues. Safari and Mail 'live' in BG otherwise all other apps closed.

9 Mins 20secs +/- 5 secs.

Ran perfectly. No issues. 

I think it is worth mentioning that because nothing visible happens the macro is very disconcerting. It has no progress indicator. For nearly ten minutes all that happened was the spinning beachball. This is not reassuring as this is so often the indicator of a 'hang'. I really had no choice but to force quit or keep good faith and hope that this was simply the macro running. I did the latter because Force Quit didn't show AP as unresponsive. Which of course implies that I was already unsure enough to enter the Force Quit dialogue to check.

So yes ...... as I said in my post ..... it ran perfectly with no issues. But it would be good to know this at the time it is running! I think AP really need to give the user some indication that macros (and a few other resource hungry processes) are working. I know barometers are notoriously unreliable, (especially if they offer time estimates) but watching them climb, however inaccurately, does tell you something positive is going on ......... which the beach ball does not ...... it simply installs fear!

Just my two centimes worth .........  ;)

I've checked through my system to make sure everything's hunky-dory including AP acknowledging and having access to all 4 cores / 8 threads - All good. 

I downloaded Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility and ran the stress tests for CPU, Memory and Graphics - Passed    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

So now I'm even more puzzled! I have a very healthy i7 laptop that can toss large files about like balsa wood as mentioned above ...except with Affinity Photo!   

Late 2013 iMac 3.5 GHZ intel core i7 (4 core with Hyperthreading)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4096mb

16GB RAM

6mins. 25secs. Fans working the whole time, which I hardly ever hear.

Activity Monitor showed CPU use at 98% and Affinity Photo as Not Responding.

Graham

Running just after a reboot of my Windows 10 laptop with a Core i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz (2 physical cores, 2 logical cores per physical) and only 4GB of installed RAM, the macro took slightly less than 39 minutes to complete.

Edited to add: Intel HD Graphics 4400

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Hi Alfred, Would you mind downloading the Intel XTU and running the stress tests?

I took screenshots toward the end of each test and not long after the completion of each - to see how fast the temp dropped (amongst other things). I'll upload my tests. I used the default time of 5 mins for each.

I'm curious to compare the difference between i3 - i7 and more importantly the number of cores. Investigating my issue it popped up more than several times that multi threading with quad core was of no benefit. In particular some gamers said they had a performance drop and by reducing the number of available threads* the performance increased. However, that's gaming and we're image editing so of course a big difference.

Thanks, Peter

* For anyone who's interested in how to reduce the number of threads/cores available on Windows for a given app (only when the app is in use - it's not permanent). This can be useful on a limited resourses system for browsers and such like that don't require access to full CPU usage:

1) Launch the app (Affinity Photo in this example)

2) Right click on the task bar and open Task Manager

3) Open the Details tab and look for the app (Photo.exe)

4) Right click and then click/open 'Set affinity'      .....no pun intended - that's what it's called - for all apps   :D

5) In the panel that opens uncheck the cores/threads you don't want to use - starting with the highest numbers (my system refers to them as CPU 0 to 7).  

From the first Mac betas onward for Affinity Photo there's been members of this forum that's had issues with excessive driven CPU problems. (Search this forum and/or Google it). There doesn't seem to be a pattern ie i3, i5, i7, the number of cores, CPU, GPU, ...whatever!  It does seem to be intermittent (as per my system) and therefore quite puzzling (?) 

Any clues - anybody?

In the meantime - Dev's take note - (Having spent nearly 40 years in a trad photo darkroom -15 years doing just that professionally - printing both colour and monochrome) - The best app currently IMO is  ACDSee's Ultimate 10... rapid response, real digital trad photo darkroom replacement tools... their Light EQ is an outstanding way of Zone system control... - the real deal (oh, screw luminosity masking - games for digital photographers who've never worked in a trad photo darkroom)   ...and so on.

I'd like to support Serif's Affinity Photo, however...