You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom vs. Affinity Photo

You have to purchase Adobe Photoshop (Combine multiple images, remove objects, and retouch photos using a complete set of professional photography tools) and Lightroom (Adjust photo color and brightness to perfection: crop, straighten, and fix perspective, brush over certain parts of a photo for local adjustments) to get all the tools needed for photo editing.

Does Affinity Photo have all these tools for photo editing? 

• Staff

rroddy,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

If you are really asking whether the first release of Affinity Photo (version 1) already has the same functionality as the long established Adobe products Photoshop and Lightroom, then no it doesn't.

Our 150+ videos explain some of the functionality of Affinity Photo

https://affin.co/PhotoTuts

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

and Lightroom (Adjust photo color and brightness to perfection: crop, straighten, and fix perspective, brush over certain parts of a photo for local adjustments) to get all the tools needed for photo editing.

Photoshop does all of that - you don't need PS and Lr purely for image editing.

Keith Reeder

I think it is important to remember that Affinity Photo is a product in its own right. It was not designed to be a feature-for-feature replacement of Photoshop (although I use it that way since it has all of the functionality that I ever used in PS, except the plugins, plus some additional functionality) but to do the editing that its designers intended. 

As good as it is (and I think it is very good) it is not a super-set of PS functionality. For example, as I mentioned, it still does not handle most PS plugins well at all. Still, it is only a bit over a year old, so I am prepared to give it some time.

And one very big plus is this forum. I don't see the Adobe software engineers hanging around and responding to questions on the Adobe forums, but they do here, and they listen. One example is the existence of a Flatten command that will flatten all layers without producing a new stamped layer. That did not originally exist but was added at user requests on this forum.

it still does not handle most PS plugins well at all.

Just for balance, it handles the ones I use perfectly well.

I don't see the Adobe software engineers hanging around and responding to questions on the Adobe forums

They do, Mike - there's regular input on the Adobe forums from designers, software engineers and other staff.

And one very big plus is this forum. I don't see the Adobe software engineers hanging around and responding to questions on the Adobe forums, but they do here, and they listen. One example is the existence of a Flatten command that will flatten all layers without producing a new stamped layer. That did not originally exist but was added at user requests on this forum.

Keith Reeder

Just for balance, it handles the ones I use perfectly well.

Yes. That should be said as well. It does handle some of my Topaz plugins and some of my Nik plugins. It does not handle my View Point 2, Photo Ninja, OnOne and other plugins at all, but the software is so complete that I rarely need anything else.

> They do, Mike - there's regular input on the Adobe forums from designers, software engineers and other staff.

OK, but that is news to me. I have spent some time on the Lightroom forum and never seen a response from a developer but I assume you are more familiar with what is going on on those forums so I will defer to your experience.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.