You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This Program is so Slow as to be Unusable!

I find in comparison to other programmes its load time is realistic..Once loaded its processing depends on the complexity of the task.

Is your machine slow or is it time to invest in SSD drive?

Affinity is a work in progress but I find very responsive to improvement. For the price it's fantastic!

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression"

Dell Inspiron 5570 i5-8250u | 8gb | SSD.m2 | Win 10 Pro 64

rleche,

It would help to know which Affinity app you are using, the specifications of your computer, & the type & file size of the documents you are loading.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Compared to adobe photoshop it is 100% usable. Compared to gimp it is a ferrari against a snake.

I cannot agree to the thread starter.

Im also using win10 with both affinity apps at the latest versions (but it made no difference since the first beta for windows)

I am with Windows 10 and a small configuration (only 4GB of RAM) and the opening of AD has always been slow for me (2 to 3 minutes) with the Beta versions.

When I bought the program I was pleasantly surprised because it opened faster than the Beta versions. Since I added many brushes, styles and assets and the launch now takes between 3 and 5'30 "following the times.

However once launched I have no problem and the operation is smooth (it is true that I have not yet made large files).

Compared to Inkscape, AD is apparently much less resource intensive: with inkscape simply zooming or moving a object is freezing the application  while with AD everything remains fluid.

In conclusion, for now, apart from the launch, for me the operation of AD is satisfactory.

In conclusion, for now, apart from the launch, for me the operation of AD is satisfactory.

I am also on Windows 10 with only 4GB of RAM. Both AD and APh are slow to launch, and loading an image file can take a long time (even if the file is only a few megabytes in memory), but the speed of most operations is quite satisfactory.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Launching APh is slow, there is now doubt about it but it doesn't worry me. I can live with it.

However loading a DNG image into memory, manifestly, take too long. Once it is loaded the speed of manipulation is acceptable, it doesn't run the pants off a Kangaroo, but it is acceptable. I also understand APh is a work in progress so I am sure it will get better. I certainly hope so.

I have now tested my  DNG image loading times on three different Win 10 and 7 machines with top resources and all take at least 28 seconds to get into memory. Unless this comes down by half at the very least I won't be able to work with APh.

Maybe one day, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Hi,

I'm on Windows 10, I5 Cpu 16GB Ram, and SSD, AP takes 9 sec to load. I should't be work with a equipment smaller than i5 and 8GB Ram and SSD in this time. I compare AP with LR and think its some slowly but for me its important that it is stable.   

Windows 10, RAM 4 GByte. Load times are therefore not the shortest.

first program start after systemstart / loading first file (6 MB) - 2:20 / 0:33

second program start / loading first file (6 MB) - 0:25 / 0:08

(Reference Photoshop CS2: 0:17 / 0:04)

bisher: Micrografx Picture Publisher 10, Photoshop 6, Affinity Photo 1, Affinity Photo 2

• 1 month later...

Windows 10, RAM 4 GByte. Load times are therefore not the shortest.

first program start after systemstart / loading first file (6 MB) - 2:20 / 0:33

second program start / loading first file (6 MB) - 0:25 / 0:08

(Reference Photoshop CS2: 0:17 / 0:04)

Now Windows 10, RAM 8 GByte

first program start after systemstart  - 1:15 

Thanks, Stefan. I'm about to increase the RAM on my system from 4 GB to 8 GB, so that's very encouraging!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It always seems slow when you are waiting (kettle syndrome).

AMD A8-3870 APU  (4core) with Radeon Graphics  3.30 GHz
32 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
SSD hard drive

A-Photo .....Program Stert..... less than 8 sec
Open Raw (19,326KB) from a desktop folder ...14 sec
Open Raw (19,326KB) from SSD drive ...14 sec

Open JPG (8102KB) from a desktop folder ...3 to 4 sec

I don't consider this a high end spec, I built it 5 years ago.

But you can't put a Mini engine in a Rolls Royce and expect to get speeding tickets !

Dudley

I can correct myself once again. It is relatively stable for the first start 15 seconds. Tested several times. This is acceptable to me. (8 GB RAM)

RAM is only to be replaced by even more RAM...  :rolleyes:

@PS
I love this program more and more.

bisher: Micrografx Picture Publisher 10, Photoshop 6, Affinity Photo 1, Affinity Photo 2

• 8 months later...

Version 1.6

Oh, wow. I start with my new laptop within 7 seconds. Tthat's what i was looking for. A program to start quickly and for immediat use. I love it now.

i5-7200u processor, 12 Gybte RAM, 128 Gbyte SSD.