You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making Objects of Exact Size?

I'm on Affinity Designer and while I do really love the software, there is something that bothers me. I do not know how to make an object of an exact size. For example, consider the Polygon Tool.  

What if I want to make a pentagon that is 50 px wide? Well if you are on a small canvas it isn't too hard; on a large canvas, it requires zooming in until the increments are at a precise enough level to draw it that size.

The Polygon Tool option bar contains a lot of useful things for changing the features of the polygon with ease: Sides, Curve, Smooth points etc. Yet specifying size is not one of them. 

I am only using the Polygon Tool as an example. How come none of the tools have an easy way to type in the size and width of the object?

Why might this matter? (again this is an arbitrary and trivial example) Consider if one wants to combine two shapes, a pentagon and a triangle. Ideally the length of the sides of each would be the same. While one can spend a lot of time zooming in and out and shift dragging the shape to try and approximate this, specifying size would be much more convenient. 

Perhaps there is a way to do this, but I do not see how.

I'm on Affinity Designer and while I do really love the software, there is something that bothers me. I do not know how to make an object of an exact size. For example, consider the Polygon Tool.  

What if I want to make a pentagon that is 50 px wide? Well if you are on a small canvas it isn't too hard; on a large canvas, it requires zooming in until the increments are at a precise enough level to draw it that size.

The Polygon Tool option bar contains a lot of useful things for changing the features of the polygon with ease: Sides, Curve, Smooth points etc. Yet specifying size is not one of them. 

I am only using the Polygon Tool as an example. How come none of the tools have an easy way to type in the size and width of the object?

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, sumneuron. :)

All of the tools do have an easy way to type in the size of the object: use the W and H controls in the Transform panel. If you draw a regular pentagon (by holding down the Shift key as you drag out the shape) you'll get a square base box which is slightly bigger than the overall height and width of the shape it contains, so you need to convert the shape to curves before you can adjust the width and height accurately.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)