You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a maximum number of symbols to be added to a document? I have been working with an array of logos. I have put all the building elements as symbols, also derivatives variants thereof (i.e. colour variants). After reaching 36 symbols, it seems impossible to add new symbols. Is this a known limit or is could it be some other bug kicking in?

If it's a known limit, it could be adequate to make it clear that this limit exits.

(I will revise what kind of variants I keep as a separate symbol to bring the number down in my document)

Also a couple of comments on the interface for Symbols (I'm sure some of them have been mentioned before during the beta of 1.5):

• It's not easy to understand the states of the Sync button. Which is on and which is off. A checkbox would have been more easy to understand and more in line with the rest of the interface.
  • A way to organise symbols other than in addition order would help when one have more than a very few symbols.
  • Alternative background (light) for dark symbols.
  • Being able to rename symbols is great. Why not put the current name as the default value in the renaming field?

Thanks,

/Miro

I like your suggestions for the symbols interface. In particular, we need a more obvious way to see if Sync is enabled, just as for other parts of the interface with similar low contrast problems.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Additional strange thing I found out: when duplicating an artboard with symbols, the connections to the symbols are lost in the copy. One need to copy the symbols as a separate subsequent step (and align them adequately manually to get them at the same relative location on the new artboard).

I this by design? 

The  Questions & Feedback forum is quite active and a question gets very quickly several pages away without being answered...

Meanwhile, I'm still curious:

1. if there is a known 36 symbols limit in each documents

2. Why symbols loses there connections when duplicating artboards with symbols.

​/Miro