You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I open a Nikon NEF file, it defaults to opening in Develop, which isn't always what I want. If I try to move immediately to Photo, I get this annoying "Please either commit or cancel the Develop operation", when I haven't actually done anything in Develop.

Another occurs if I just open a NEF and want to immediately close it—I'm asked to complete or cancel the Develop when I haven't actually done anything.

Even when I have done something in Develop and want to go back to Photo, I want an option to auto commit and not keep asking me "Please either commit or cancel the Develop operation".

post-47568-0-90037900-1483108038_thumb.jpg

post-47568-0-23530200-1483108039_thumb.jpg

Until a RAW file is developed, there is no usable image for the Photo Persona to work with. That's why you can't move immediately to the Photo Persona & have to indicate if you want commit to the development process (which can take up to several tens of seconds on a slow computer to complete) or cancel, which closes the file without attempting to develop it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Until a RAW file is developed, there is no usable image for the Photo Persona to work with. That's why you can't move immediately to the Photo Persona & have to indicate if you want commit to the development process (which can take up to several tens of seconds on a slow computer to complete) or cancel, which closes the file without attempting to develop it.

Thanks but that's not the case. If I open a raw file and then just want to close it, it says "the current file is being developed" when I don't want to, I just want to close it.

I'm not sure I understand this anyway, as what you state suggests that Develop is "higher-up" in the workflow, when the Develop icon is third in the toolbar from the right. I'm finding the workflow impossible to understand.

Thanks but that's not the case. If I open a raw file and then just want to close it, it says "the current file is being developed" when I don't want to, I just want to close it.

The opened file is always in the process of being developed if it is a RAW file. If you don't develop it, you can't work with it, so either don't open it to begin with, or commit to developing it.

As explained here, a RAW file contains minimally processed data from an image sensor (like in a camera) that is in one of many formats that are not yet ready to be printed or edited -- as the name implies it is raw image data that must be processed ("developed") before it is useable.

The position of the Develop Persona icon in the toolbar doesn't matter -- it is the only Persona a RAW image file can be opened in & it will automatically open in that Persona for that reason. If it helps, think of the image you see when opening a RAW file as a preview of sorts, one that can take considerable time & computer resources to generate. That is why you get the 'Are you sure?' messages. Basically, it is asking if you want to discard the work the app has already done to show you what the processed image would look like.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

DxO Optics Pro is a fine application, but it lacks most of the features of AP's other Personas. That's why it asks if you are sure you want to close the RAW file without developing it -- since most users want to do more than just develop the file if they open it in AP, they most likely would complain about it being a poor design choice if the file simply closed without warning. It is more or less the same kind of 'are you sure' warning most apps provide if you try to close a new document without saving it.

Besides, since you are aware of what a RAW file is, it is easy enough just to not open one in AP unless you do want to develop it with the app, right?

Affinity Photo 

My god! We are talking about one click! It really doesn't waste that much of one's life time, compared with watching an episode or "Game of Thrones" :)

To be fair, it is two extra clicks if you forget to click on the Cancel button & try to close the file instead. So that would waste twice as much of your life ... if you are a slow learner.  :rolleyes:

Affinity Photo 

Thanks, I'm aware of what a RAW file is. I also know that if I open one with DxO Optics Pro I don't get any messages preventing me from closing it--as far as I'm concerned this is poor design.

Because Optics Pro is a one-stop deal - you either convert the file or you don't. 

In AP, the Develop stage is the precursor to further editing in AP: it makes perfect sense, given that the presumption is that you're developing prior to editing, to check whether you really want to stop the whole workflow in its tracks.

Indeed, I'd argue that Optics Pro has this wrong: in pretty much any application you care to name, from image editing software to word processing, the default is that you're asked whether you want to abandon changes to a file you've changed.

Keith Reeder

So that would waste twice as much of your life ... if you are a slow learner.

R C-R, you may be right! Considering, that Sophie201 in her initial posting didn’t even took the time, to tell us, in which context the alert is appearing, it seems, that she is an incredible speedy person, who doesn’t allow herself to waste even a millisecond of her precious life time!  :)  :)  :)

Again, to be totally fair about this, I also sometimes get annoyed by "Are you sure?" dialogs but I understand why they exist. 

Affinity Photo 

I think I can see why or how there is a little bit of frustration generated here.

Windows convention has always been to close anything down by hitting the "X" at the upper right. Old time Windows users have developed a certain muscle memory and when they want to close something down that's what they go for. (Including myself)

Hitting the upper right "X" one is being chased around the screen, from upper right to the middle to the upper left and back to the middle of the screen.

Of course to avoid all this just go to the upper left and hit "Cancel" but yet one has to go back to the middle of the screen for confirmation. So it is not as perfect as it otherwise could be. It would be nice if all this could be done without being chased around the screen, namely to do this from one single fly-out.

Really not a big deal I must admit. But it does require to re-train your muscle memory though. Ideally this should or could be done out of the same fly-out. (or position where the fl-out happens to be located). It would beautifully streamline interaction with the computer and would make work a pleasure not to mention reducing the chance of  RSI.  ;)

Not being a programmer, it may be difficult to achieve. But I was under the impression Windows is providing the underlying "scaffolding" to do this. Am I too simplistic in my thinking ?