You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen tool behavior

Hi, Meb

Thats true but you have to place it and then press the cmd key. It would be so much better that you could immediately move it. In Illustrator if you place a anchor point and press spacebar you can move it and then it gives back the bezier handles. But in Affinity you place anchor point then release selection press cmd key and move it then you have go back and select the anchor to edit the bezier handles. There is one step more. I have made an video of the difference.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duGsgn2X6_E&list=UUv-eGam3wWih5ZQFTCPMHIA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MEB , Ben , MattP It does not have to be spacebar but the functionality in my opinion is really important. Because Pen tool is one of the most used tool in a vector editing program. It has to be quick and easy to use. I don't know is it me but i really love the Pen tool in Adobe Illustrator and i hate the Pen tool in Adobe Photoshop it really sucks. At the moment Affinitys Pen tool is more like Photoshop. The video explains the difference.

Video: http://youtu.be/duGsgn2X6_E

• Staff

Hi pullapooh,

We do intend to add this functionality - and it's probably going to be off the space bar too (there's no point us adding functionality to help Illustrator users but then putting it off a different modifier, hehe) it's just a matter of time. I absolutely couldn't agree more that the Pen Tool is the most important for vector creation - but we obviously have different methodologies because I have been designing in vector packages since around GEM desktop days (I even wrote a vector drawing program for my Acorn Archimedes back in school!) and I wasn't even aware of the space modifier so didn't know that people found it so useful. I have always placed my nodes where I wanted them and then dragged out from that - if I made a mistake I enjoy the hassle-free Cmd modifier to move it to somewhere else or modify any part of my curve at will - much easier than my productivity when I try to use Illustrator.

Your use-case is every bit as valid as mine though so we'll try to get this in - but please don't think it's because we've tried to 'scrimp' on our design or implementation with our tools - we simply don't have that use case because I don't work that way so I didn't know it was possible and none of our designers or featured artists have come back with this as a request. It will get done as soon as I can find time to add it - which hopefully won't be that long.

Thanks,

Matt

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I believe it is best to seek inspiration for the Pen Tool on type design software.

Granted, I use them for a living, but I really would like to see some of these features in AD:

• spacebar while putting down an anchor to reposition it,
  • moving anchors while keeping off-curve handles in place, 
  • being able to constrain handles to right angles afterwards (shift key will only constrain to the original angle).

Take a look at this short video from Glyphs: 

Maybe download its trial and use it for a while. It is fantastic!

• Staff

Hi hbeier,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can perform your second point already (in 1.5 Beta): change to the Node Tool (or press and hold ⌘ (cmd) to change temporarily to the Node Tool), then press and hold ⌃(ctrl) and drag the node.

The others are not available yet. Thanks for your feedback.