You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

→→→→→arrows and Dash lines- - - - - - - -MUST!!!!!!!!!!

I bought it just because I'm really excited on the replacement potential of AI. But its REALLY necessary  to add arrows (at the ends of lines) and dash lines in my work as a UI designer. so Plz add this function into your product ASAP. I'm almost crazy and it really disturbs my work!!

I try to import PDF with dash lines into AD from other apps, but it doesn't recognize dash lines at all?????Whats this problem???

I looked around the bbs and found lots people who have the same needs. NOT only use the arrow tools!!!!! its really not easy to use!!!!

post-2858-0-47068000-1415979800_thumb.png

post-2858-0-18667200-1415979811_thumb.png

The current MAS version doesn't do dashed lines, But the beta does...

Go to the Customer Beta section of the forum here. Since you bought a copy from the MAS, you can use this beta and install it side-by-side with the MAS version. 

Arrows, well, that's on the way. Myself, I'd rather have the Affinity developers "do it right" instead  of a half-baked implementation. Do check out the roadmap of features (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/842-affinity-designer-feature-roadmap/ ). The Affinity people are aware of this issue and many more. Give them some time and I'm sure that the results will be spectacular. :)

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

• 1 year later...

More than a year later it is not even on the roadmap, discussed or commented.  :(

I'm not sure which update added the arrow shape tool, but both AD & AP 1.4.1 have one. The tool isn't like that found in most other graphic apps -- instead of adding arrowheads to strokes, it creates arrow shapes (curves). On the upside there are lots of variations possible (see attached); on the downside the arrows can't be curved like with stroke based arrows.

post-3524-0-07950600-1456835641_thumb.jpg

Dashed strokes are also available in the 1.4.1 versions.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Apologies. I did not explain what I meant very well, which was just that I assume arrows are no longer on the roadmap because they added the arrow shape tool, which I'm guessing they think is enough.

But like a lot of other people I do not think that is enough & would also like to see arrowheads as an option for the end(s) of strokes, at the least for open curves. Having the shape options shown in the center box of my example would be nice, but for now I would settle for some simple arrowheads that for example scaled with stroke weight.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Oval, 

The developers are already implementing/adding features as fast as they can. We haven't introduced arrows yet but there was other improvements/features introduced during the last year and half and more will come as development progresses. We will get there at some point but we can't implement everything users request that fast. We would need an army of developers for that...

... We would need an army of developers for that...

I suspect even an army of developers could never add everything users request. There will always be "one more thing" that some will feel is an essential missing feature ... & several different, often mutually conflicting ideas about how it should be implemented.

However it all plays out, I hope the developers can avoid the bloat that some apps have acquired over the years that require ever more powerful hardware to run even relatively simple operations at reasonable speeds.

Affinity Photo 

Hi Oval, 

The developers are already implementing/adding features as fast as they can. We haven't introduced arrows yet but there was other improvements/features introduced during the last year and half and more will come as development progresses. We will get there at some point but we can't implement everything users request that fast. We would need an army of developers for that...

We only were astonished that nobody answered zing0714 for such a long time, not that it was not implemented. A simple “Arrowheads are on our C F R I” (where it still is) some weeks later would have been great.

Six months ago Matt wrote that he hoped to start in three months time. He knows how badly it is needed, and he wants to do it too. As it happened, he became too busy with other stuff and wasn't able to start it. I'm sorry, but that's what happens sometimes with software development. It's still on his list of things to do and he'll do it when he can. (The other stuff he is working on will be pretty cool, if that's any consolation.)

Don't know if anyone has time to put together a timeline of past improvements, but I know if would be good for me to review them when I get impatient with the thing I'm still waiting for (for me the biggie is offset/contour)  It's easy to forget that SO much has been added in a rather short time, and all free updates!!

Would be good to view that next to the roadmap.  :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...