You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sample files for Affinity Designer Workbook

I have bought Affinity Designer and also bought affinity Designer workbook.

In the tutorials section, it says that all the working files may be downloaded from - and I quote "affin.co/coreskills"

There seems to be no such website.

Is this a misprint - or do I simply return the book as useless?

Please advise me how to obtain the working files.

Regards

David

This topic explains in detail how to get the resources. Note in particular Patrick Connor's reply.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi R C-R

Thanks for your reply.

I followed your link and tried everything that was suggested.

I am 72 years old and probably going senile, but I am still writing computer code for the company that I worked for before retirement.

Why does it have to be so difficult? Affinity are a software house after all.

Entering affin.co/coreskills into Google Chrome diverts me to BT help (my ISP) saying that "Website www.affin.co does not exist".

This also does not work in either Internet explorer nor in Edge.

I am in the UK

I am working on a windows 10 PC - so - going into a DOS box, I can ping all my usual websites, but cannot ping affin.co - I get a timed out message

Is this website down?

Why do all small easy jobs turn out to be long difficult jobs in disguise !!

PLEASE can anyone help me make any sense out of this nonsensical download instruction?

Kind regards

David

Entering affin.co/coreskills into Google Chrome diverts me to BT help (my ISP) saying that "Website www.affin.co does not exist".

This also does not work in either Internet explorer nor in Edge.

There is no 'www.' in the URL.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

There is no 'www.' in the URL.

No - I didn't type one, but BT sent me back a message that showed "www"

Having just done it all again using Edge - it worked this time, but it still doesn't work using Google Chrome.

At least I have the files that I need.

Thanks for your reply

David (Grumpy old man)

You're welcome, David. I have no idea why Chrome is trying to be so 'helpful'; I don't use it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

David,

For what little it is worth I am also on the north side of 70. I do not write computer code (unless you count the occasional shell script or AppleScript on a Mac), but I have been using computer apps long enough to know that I can't always trust modern browsers not to 'helpfully' reinterpret URL's I manually type into their combined search & URL text fields. As Alfred said, the problem you are having is probably because Chrome or whatever is adding a superfluous "www." prefix to the URL.

That said, I have tried entering the URL sans www in Safari & Chrome on my Mac & for both, this immediately starts the download (which I have to kill because I have not purchased the Workbook & don't believe I am entitled to use those resources), so the site is definitely not down.

As for why Affinity does it this way, I can only guess but I suspect it is so they can prevent top level root access to afin.co with a 403 error response or the like, so that only specific files can be downloaded using fully formed URL. If they did not do this, the Internet being what it is, I suspect a lot of people would rummage through the site looking for free stuff to download, possibly overloading the servers and/or creating unnecessary support issues from people who have not purchased the Workbook & want help understanding how to use its content.

Not exactly "dark web" stuff but IMO a reasonable precaution.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 11 months later...
20 minutes ago, MEB said:

You can find the links for each chapter's resources on pages 69, 126, 150, 184, 234, 262, 306, 338, 362, 414. They are in green on the beginning of the page.

Maybe I have this wrong, but from the links @easygoing mentioned in his post, I think he wants to download the resources for the new Affinity Photo Workbook. The links for them are in red on a page near the beginning of each chapter or subchapter.

Affinity Photo 

Just now, MEB said:

Pages removed. Yes it's for Photo my mistake. I haven't received mine yet so i can't add the correct pages.

I finally got my copy last week. There are a lot of pages with links because chapters 3, 4, & 5 are organized into numbered subsections & each of them have separate links for that project's resources. All totaled, I think there are 17 downloads!

Affinity Photo 

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

Maybe I have this wrong, but from the links @easygoing mentioned in his post, I think he wants to download the resources for the new Affinity Photo Workbook. The links for them are in red on a page near the beginning of each chapter or subchapter.

I am using the Photo Workbook and trying the wrong pink resource box within the chapter, not the pink URL at the beginning intro to the chapters. I guess I am too much of a rush to fully comprehend what I read......

Thanks much!

BTW I do like the video tutorials but so far I love this workbook. Make a very nice combination.

I am old film guy and have done a fair amount of darkroom in younger days.

Edited by easygoing
addition