You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

inpanting affinity photo 1.5.1

HI,

whenever I use inpainting  to remove something from the picture,,this  does not work well, there always appears an other object  ,precise copies of a part of the picture;

what I do, I click inpainting and go over the object that I want to remove,
but if it is not completely gone,I do exact  the same , and then comes a another object of the photo

What do I do wrong ,I don't know ,I have watched the video inpainting several times now 

Kind regard
Paul ,and thanks in advance for the help 

• Staff

Hi Paul,

I'm not too sure I understand exactly what is happening when you use the InPainting tool. Please could you provide a video or screenshot of the issue so I can look into this further for you?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 4 weeks later...

I too have experienced this phenomenon and come to the conclusion that the inpainting tool is an automated aligned clone tool. It selects, copies and then paints in an immediately adjacent area. In the video tutorial a suitable image is correctly chosen with very plain zones surrounding what is removed. On a more complex image what is happening, outlined above, becomes very obvious and in general it is better to use the clone tool carefully.

Hope this is helpful though I see the date is sometime past.

Michael

Totally in agreement with Ms. Fuentecilla - I am a newcomer to AP. It appears that a number of the tutorials are showing a "best case" scenario

regarding the use of the tools and they certainly do not work as well as in the videos when presented with an image containing Alternative Facts :rolleyes: ( sorry ).

Additionally the presenter flies by with the speed of someone who is eminently familiar with the software / topic. Important steps are skipped, or given short shrift. Not like he is trying to teach someone who is unfamiliar.

ms.fuentecilla, CruizngSailor, et al:

You may find it helpful to read the brief Wikipedia article about inpainting. Note that there are several types of algorithms that may be used for this. None of them are perfect & all work best on relatively small areas in images with strong structural and/or textural similarities.

In practical terms, that means the best results are usually obtained by using small inpainting brush sizes, confined to areas where there is something substantially different structurally or texturally from surrounding areas, applied to one such area at a time.

After using it for a while, it is easier to get a feel for what it can & cannot do, but it is still often a trial & error process. Luckily for us, in Affinity we have an Alternate Fact tool to help with this, a.k.a. the undo step.  :rolleyes:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

My comment was not intended as a complaint but to help understand the issue; and having long been involved in communication (most of my life) I think your video tutorials are well chosen and well presented. All this is so far removed from attempting graphics work for theses in Win2 that it sometimes feels like Disneyland or the other side of The Looking Glass to me!

Michael