NobleValerian

Button for "Selection" from Shape Tool [U]

Just cmd + click on a shape to return a selection from it

Cheers

See, I thought that would work, but for whatever reason, it didn't (before posting this).  Affinity also crashed last time I used it, so maybe something else was going on.  Tried that today... no problem.

ok great 

Affinity on windows (If you are on windows) will for sure get more stable over time - mac has been through the same (and for new features still is anyway)

As long as Photoshop has been around, it still has problems, so I'm not sweating it as long as I can do what I need to do.  I don't like having to use workarounds, especially for simple tasks, but at least there are multiple ways to get stuff done.

Let's kill two rabbits with one stick.  A dedicated selection button would still be nice for people that don't know shortcuts.  As to my original problem, I find that I can consistently Ctrl+Click to get a selection from a shape, but only as long as the shape has a fill.  On a shape with no fill, this doesn't work.  If that's somehow not a bug, please also include the "feature" to Ctrl+Click on a shape with *no* fill to create a selection.  Thanks.