You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Merghatroids!! Characters from the comic I'm working on...

CartoonMike

This is a WIP. thought some may find it interesting to see the outlines and the vector version of this drawing. Drew the basic design on paper with pencil. I then inked it with some  Microns. Liked it, but then thought that maybe it would be interesting/better as a vector piece. I'll be using Franentoon's texturizer Pro to finish the rendering of it. As it stands, it's more of a proof of concept and therapy over the hellscape that some call 2016. 

post-895-0-56136500-1482885686_thumb.png post-895-0-66677700-1482885706_thumb.png

Once I got into the groove, it was quite quick and pleasant. There's boo-boos galore, but that's part of the learning process as y'all know. I'm sure the next one will be smoother and better. 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

and it's done!

post-895-0-73648100-1483050268_thumb.png

Thanks to Franketoon's Texturizer Pro and DAUB's brushes. Couldn't have done this without those bits of wonder. And of course Affinity Designer! 

One thing I really like about how this piece went was the contrast between the smooth vector outlines and the rough coloring within them. I think this one's a keeper.

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

@Peter: thanks for the comments. The sky was just a gradient between a light bluish and darker bluish color. The clouds were a DAUB brush that I then used the blur & smear tool on and then repeated it and this time used the blur&smear only on the bottoms of the clouds. This 2-pass technique made the sky color a bit more irregular. Happy accidents (TM Bob Ross)!

---

Very nice, think I prefer the first one before you used the texturizer, etc. Great work though, I guess I'm just use to the simple, clean, flat look as that's my style.

Thanks for sharing your techniques as well. 

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials