creature

AP1.5.1 sometimes gets confused about develop mode when opening a RAW file

I've recently had a couple of times where Affinity Photo doesn't fully open a RAW image in Develop mode. I'll often look through a directory of images in the Finder, and hit ⌘-O to open several. Then, when I switch back to Affinity Photo, I find something like this: 

post-47144-0-21746700-1482868185_thumb.png

I haven't developed this image yet (note the "Develop"/"Cancel" buttons in the top left), but everything else in AP seems to think it's been developed: I've got the adjustments/layers panes on the right hand side, the mode selector shows up as the photo persona & not the develop persona, and the menus match the photo persona too. 

Changing to another image and back to this one updates the UI to show it in Develop mode, and I can adjust the image as normal.

I'm running Affinity Photo 1.5.1 on Sierra 10.12.2.

Hey creature,

I haven't been able to reproduce this yet. Is AP closed down before you open the RAW images or are you in AP when browsing the directory? Did you set AP as the default to open these images? If you could give me an exact recipe to follow that would be very much appreciated. Cheers! 

I'm afraid I haven't got exact steps to reproduce on this one, and I don't have any ideas about likely causes or common elements. It doesn't happen every time I open an image, for sure. As best as I can recall, this has never happened from opening AP "fresh" – it's always been when opening a RAW image in an already-running instance of AP. I do have AP set as my default RAW editor, yes. 

As for my workflow: after a shoot, I copy images from my camera into a new folder, then browse them in the Finder. Thumbnail mode at maximum zoom gives me a good idea about whether I want to edit the image, and I use the quick look feature to get a closer view where necessary. If I think it's a good photo, I'll give it a filesystem tag of either "Maybe" or "To be edited". (Support for filesystem tags would be a superb feature in the rumoured DAM, by the way...)

Then, when I've got some time to edit photos, I'll open a Finder window & show all pictures with that tag. I'll select one image at a time, then open it in AP via ⌘-O. Often I'll open a few images consecutively before I switch to Affinity Photo, then edit them one after the other. I don't think I've ever opened a RAW file from AP's File → Open menu.

I still can't reproduce it. I noticed in your first screenshot the image in question has the [M] on its filename tab which looks like it has been developed but this might be part of the same issue causing the Develop/Cancel to appear. Strange. 

We've tried adding tags and using the quick look feature and even tried adding jpg files in the opening process. The only thing I can think of is getting a quick recording but I appreciate this won't be easy if it doesn't always happen.