You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quicker Font Selection

I'd like a way to more quickly change the font of selected text.

I'd like to be able to do this:

Press Hotkey >

Type name of font >

Hit Return to confirm.

I actually see no place in the UI where I can input the name of a font, I only see a dropdown menu. Being able to hit a hotkey that takes me to an input field would go a very long way in speeding up my workflow.

I'd like a way to more quickly change the font of selected text.

I'd like to be able to do this:

Press Hotkey >

Type name of font >

Hit Return to confirm.

I actually see no place in the UI where I can input the name of a font, I only see a dropdown menu. Being able to hit a hotkey that takes me to an input field would go a very long way in speeding up my workflow.

Yes i just spent a substantial amount of time in the text tool(definitely more than needed too). There is much to be done there. One major problem for me was speed. I'm sure your working on this so ill just wait patiently and temporarily move my text needs somewhere  else.  I am sure when it all flushed out it will be a killer tool!

I'd be happy if the last five fonts were listed on top of the list or (as discussed in another thread) the groups from fontbook did appear (optional off course).

I don't mind picking the font from a list, but for some reason I always end up scrolling around for quite some time when looking for one.

If I know I'll be doing a lot with text, I just make the floating Character panel appear (there's a Character button in the context tool bar and you can get it by either hitting the command-T shortcut or old-school by going to Format-->Character-->show Character). All the settings one can use is there and the font list is a scrolling one. Big advantage is that the selected text won't update the font until you click on it in the scrolling field. 

command-shift-t will bring up the Typography floating panel where we can adjust various options, including OpenType ones.

Now if the Character floating panel is visible, click on the selected font, this gives the font list focus. On my mac running Yosemite, the font list will now have a bluish outline. Now type in the first few letters of the font you want to use. The scrolling field will go to the first occurrence of those letters at the beginning of the name. For instance I have a font named Blambot Casual, if I type in "blam" the list will automagically select the first font that begins with those letters, so I get the Blambot Casual font. It seems to "get" the first 4 letters (after which a warning sound comes), but usually that's close enough to get the field to show the rough area of the font (if there's a number of fonts with that name). Not exactly what you're asking for, but it's better than the dropdown menu. 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Another +1 for this feature.

I realize you can start typing in the dropdown and it'll take you to that font but I prefer how Adobe and Sketch filter out all other fonts so you just get the ones you're looking for. Also, if the font is in your list of recently used fonts at the top and you type the name it selects that version rather than taking you down the main list to show all the other fonts within that family. For example, I used "Nexa Black" so now I want to try "Nexa Book" but when I type "Nexa" it just highlights "Nexa Black" at the very top so I have to scroll all the way down to find what I'm looking for.