You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm embarrassed to ask but I have been attempting to increase my workspace by removing (or minimizining_ the menu bar at the very top.  I don't see the 3 dots on the left (Red , yellow, or Green).  can someone tell this old guy how to minimize this so I can increase my workspace.  Thank You

Gary,

The Red Yellow and Green dots (often referred to as traffic lights) are the close / minimise / maximise buttons on a Mac. If you are on Windows, the equivalent are on the top right.

If you want to increase the User Interface of the app itself, then clicking the green maximise button (on a Mac) will expand the User Interface upwards, so that the menubar is hidden.

Hope this helps  :)

High-End Photographic Prints

Or.. I'm not quite sure if you mean this:
View> toggle UI -Or simply press the Tab key. Press Tab to bring back the tools again.

A very quick way to minimise the app is to press Cmd H (on a Mac).

If I remember right you can press ctrl M in windows.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Or, maybe you mean this:

Windows> separated mode. This will separate  all the elements in the workspace, and you can expand the pictures you are working with.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Or, maybe you mean this:

Windows> separated mode. This will separate  all the elements in the workspace, and you can expand the pictures you are working with.

"Separated mode" is a Mac thing. On Windows we can click and drag on the title bar of an image to make it float.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Gary, it would help if you told us if you are using Windows or Mac OS. The three color dots only appear on Mac windows, & only when the app is not in full screen mode, so we are still guessing about that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

First, thanks to all of you that have responded thus far.  I looked in the upper right corner (I do use Windows) and the options are there.  What I'm trying to do is hide the File, Edit, etc menu bar at the very top.  Maybe that can't be done in Windows.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  You would think if it can be done on a Mac it should be available for Windows as well.

You would think if it can be done on a Mac it should be available for Windows as well.

One of the fundamental differences between the two operating systems is Macs have an (almost) always present menu bar at the top of the screen that does not belong to any one application. It has no direct counterpart in Windows. This menu bar contains items supplied by the current (frontmost) app like the File & Edit menus, but it also contains other things, some of which are supplied by the OS.

This article includes more info about this. As it says, this menu bar can be hidden in two ways, with a system-wide preference setting & by using full screen mode from within an app, which hides the menu, the Desktop, & everything else that does not belong to the app.

Because Windows does not have this shared menu bar, menu items like File & Edit must be placed in a menu bar in an app's window.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7