You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Black and white photo with coloured area

Hello

I am a newbee with affinity and looks for some hints about photo manipulations. 

I wish to change a photo from color to black and white but only in a special area. 

I have a center motif, that should be coloured, the rest should be in black and white only. 

Are there some hints, how can I easy do this. 

Perhaps there is any video tutorial...

Regards

Thomas

TriumphFriend, normally you do this by duplicating the original (Cmd+J) and converting the new (top) layer to black and white (using a Black & White Adjustment. The next step then is to paint the colour in again with the Paint Brush tool (make sure Black is selected as the color). Also, make sure the Black & White Adjustment layer is selected while doing this last step.

And by the way, using the Context Toolbar at the top of your screen, you can alter settings to make this exercise a bit easier.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

Well this was the oldschool approach

Nowadays you don't need to duplicate the layer

Just add a black and white adjustment on top of the background layer and mask that adjustment layer

Thus if you modify the background layer (retouch it) all changes are also reflected in the BW parts

Cheers

1. Select the layer you want to re-color.

2. Click onto the small icon at the bottom of the "Layers" section named "Adjustments".

3. Choose "Black and White". -> An (non destructive) adjustment layer is placed on top of your image layer and the image turns black and white.

4. Drag this adjustment layer onto your image layer. -> An adjustment layer mask is created.

5. Select this layer mask and paint onto it. -> Black restores the colours.

post-1030-0-98385200-1482749347_thumb.jpg

For what it is worth, the 'new school' method works because all adjustment layers in Affinity have built-in masks.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes, I understood! But, because you didn't tell the "whole story" in the beginning: If you used my method, start from the beginning!

Double your image, so you have 2 layers. Make the first one black and white and use the blurring features of Affinity Photo. Then mask the car in the layer on top, using the different masking tool.

Look at the video tutorials on the "Tutorials" page of this site, especially those about "cutting out" and "masking".

There is no need to do it another way if you have already done the 1 - 5 steps previously given by mac_heibu. 

Just continue with steps 6 - 9 below

2. Click onto the small icon at the bottom of the "Layers" section named "Adjustments".

3. Choose "Black and White". -> An (non destructive) adjustment layer is placed on top of your image layer and the image turns black and white.

4. Drag this adjustment layer onto your image layer. -> An adjustment layer mask is created.

Continue here

6. Select the Black and White adjustment layer mask on its own

7. From the menus, Select > Selection From Layer

8. Then select the background layer

9. From the menus, Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur

and adjust the blur as required

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Alternatively, you can simply Ctrl-click on the layer mask (or Cmd-click if you're using a Mac).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

There is no need to do it another way if you have already done the 1 - 5 steps previously given by mac_heibu. 

Just continue with steps 6 - 9 below

Continue here

8. Then select the background layer

9. From the menus, Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur

and adjust the blur as required

Please can you send me the shortcuts to (7), because I have a German menu.

If I try it from 6-9, the yellow car will blurry, too...

Please can you send me the shortcuts to (7), because I have a German menu.

If I try it from 6-9, the yellow car will blurry, too...

On Windows, you can hold down the Strg key on your keyboard while clicking on the mask thumbnail in the Layers panel. On a Mac, use the Cmd (⌘) key.

When you have made a selection, the yellow car will be protected against becoming blurry.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)