You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Pathfinder Tool" Can't seem to add shapes without them disapearing

Hello, my name is Brandon and I just recently purchased Affinity Designer for Windows. I'm enjoying my experience, but one thing I always seem to run into while making logos is attempting to add shapes and the shapes just disappearing. For example, today I was trying to add multiple shapes together to create a letter "B". I had two curves for the humps, which were expanded strokes, and I had three horizontal rectangles. One was at the top, one in the middle, and one at the bottom. All the shapes were overlapping and I attempted to select them all and use the "add function". After clicking the button, the shapes just disappeared and I was a left with a blank layer named "curves". I've attempted to recolor the layer and try converted all shapes to curves, but nothing seems to do it. Please help me.

Thank you,

Brandon Nowak

Very hard to diagnose and assist without seeing a video or GIF of the issue occurring, or even better an attached file (preferably with File > Save History with Document).

I just recreated the steps you describe, and everything works as I would expect.

post-43096-0-35107600-1482749769_thumb.gif

If you can supply more details I am sure someone an help :)

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• Staff

Hello brandon_nowak,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

We are aware of some issues with boolean operations. Can you please upload your file using this link so we can take a look please? All files will be deleted after being checked.

Don't forget do add you forum's username to the file's name so i can identify it.

The file explains what is going on...

• Apart from the '2 humps' all other objects are described as "curves".
    i.e. more than one curve.
  • There are rogue nodes that are not attached to anything as part of the horizontal objects.
    Try moving the top left node of the bottom shape as an example.
  • The top shape is not closed.
    Check the bottom right corner.
  • The two middle shapes do not actually overlap.
    Try putting a colored object behind and zoom in - you will see it bleed through.

If you fix all these issues manually (by deleting the orphaned nodes,aligning the center objects, and connecting the two ends of the upper curve to close the shape) everything Adds as expected.

Alternatively: it is quicker just to trace new shapes over the faulty ones (use snapping, and duplication and it takes a few seconds).

The question becomes, how did you create the horizontal shapes that ended up with the inaccuracies and detached nodes?

Blink Logo (Aammppaa).afdesign

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

The file explains what is going on...

• Apart from the '2 humps' all other objects are described as "curves".

i.e. more than one curve.

• There are rogue nodes that are not attached to anything as part of the horizontal objects.

Try moving the top left node of the bottom shape as an example.

• The top shape is not closed.

Check the bottom right corner.

• The two middle shapes do not actually overlap.

Try putting a colored object behind and zoom in - you will see it bleed through.

If you fix all these issues manually (by deleting the orphaned nodes,aligning the center objects, and connecting the two ends of the upper curve to close the shape) everything Adds as expected.

Alternatively: it is quicker just to trace new shapes over the faulty ones (use snapping, and duplication and it takes a few seconds).

The question becomes, how did you create the horizontal shapes that ended up with the inaccuracies and detached nodes?

Yes thank you, this worked. One question I still have is how do I get those two separate middle parts to line up without a small gap. I'm using the auto snapping to line them up.