Sign in to follow this  
rathammer

pdf import - font missing?

I tried a very simple and non-pro thing today. current demo of affinity photo unfortunately is 1.4.3, so I could not try in 1.5

I needed to import a simple pdf (CD Cover) created from iTunes, so it uses Apple system fonts. in the import dialogue of Photo all seems ok and it says that all fonts are ok. but still when opened, there suddenly is a font missing. you can see the "track times" in the right hand column written with a "C" character instead of the ":"

additionally, the pdf opens as a rasterised image instead of vector for the written text. Same happens in Affinity Designer. Why?

The same document opens fine in Photoshop (also rasterised, of course) but opens as vector text in Apple Preview App. So the font ".SF NS Text" seems to be present

screenshots attached.

best,

Andreas

post-7313-0-39218100-1482659045_thumb.png

post-7313-0-86352200-1482659052_thumb.png

post-7313-0-54602300-1482659060_thumb.png

The same document opens fine in Photoshop (also rasterised, of course) but opens as vector text in Apple Preview App. So the font ".SF NS Text" seems to be present

The system font San Francisco is only licensed for use by the system in displays (e.g. Finder windows and Preview). You cannot use it in your documents.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

alright, thanx for the response. at least i know now what .SF stands for :-)

but still: why does Photoshop open the pdf correctly and Photo does not - even if it's just rasterised? Does Adobe have access to system fonts that Affinity does not have?

I don't have a Mac, so I can only go by what I've read on the Interwebs, but I suspect that Photoshop may be using information that only Adobe applications can interpret (PDF being an Adobe invention). Nevertheless, I find it a little surprising that you got the result that you did, given that you didn't put a tick in the 'Favour editable text over fidelity' checkbox.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)