You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Removing object from picture

Hi, if you purchased Affinity Photo, the inpainting brush is the 6. tool from the bottom.

It's nested together with the blemish removal tool and others, so you have to click on the very little triangle in the bottom right corner of the tool. It will then open and you can pick the tool you want.

However, some people have purchased Affinity Designer, witch don't have the inpainting brush.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hi, if you purchased Affinity Photo, the inpainting brush is the 6. tool from the bottom.

It's nested together with the blemish removal tool and others, so you have to click on the very little triangle in the bottom right corner of the tool. It will then open and you can pick the tool you want.

However, some people have purchased Affinity Designer, witch don't have the inpainting brush.

+1

It's nested together with …

Personally, I dislike embedded tools, so I went VIEW > Customize tools

and disembedded them by replacing these with the included tools in the

same order and at the same place.

Mind you, this is possible, in my case, as I work on a cinema display. Not

everyone will have the real estate to go this way with a single column. So,

on smaller screen and in the same tool window, one may choose to click

the two column display… I did on my laptop.

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

• 1 year later...

Have just purchased this and now I find that the inpainting brush tool which worked perfectly on the trial version does not seem to want to work - what are the settings please to make this function effectively.

work is for people without a camera or a 4x4

www.lostshepard.co.za

abc.jpg

abcd1.jpg

• Staff

Hi Paul Lin,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Check the Opacity and Flow options in the context toolbar. Are they set to 0%?

What type of layer are you working with? Is it an Image layer type? Take a look at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the layers panel. Does it say Image or Pixel? If it says Image you have to convert it to a pixel layer (type) to be able to edit it at a pixel level. To do this right-click the image layer on the Layers panel and select Rasterise.... You should then be able to use the Inpainting Tool you mentioned.

Image layers are a special layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They are created when you use the Place Image Tool, the File ▸ Place command or when you simply drag them from the Finder or File Explorer to the canvas of an opened document. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be rasterised as described above.

Thanks MEB - I just went back in and now it works - go figure - I was just using it on a raw file picture not on a layer - both times - and as i say now it is working - a lot to learn here - so practice hopefully will make perfect :-) Thanks

I removed all the power lines and road signage - see attached

_1060853 2.jpg

work is for people without a camera or a 4x4

www.lostshepard.co.za

abc.jpg

abcd1.jpg

• Staff

Hi Paul Lin,

The Inpainting Tool is NOT available in Develop Persona which is where RAW files open by default. You have to adjust/edit the file there first (mostly global changes like exposure, shadow/highlights recovery etc), then click the blue Develop button on the top left of the interface to process the RAW and move it to Photo Persona where you can perform further local (or global) adjustments like the inpainting. To learn more about Personas and how they work in Affinity Photo check this video tutorial: Discover Affinity Photo. For details about the Inpainting Tool check this one: Inpainting.

You can find plenty more video tutorials covering most program features in the Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials.

Hello,

Sorry for the question, I'm an Affinity Photo beginner.

I also have a problem with this tools.

After developping a DNG file, when I try to use the Unpaint tool in Photo Persona, I've this this message (see attached).

Don't undertand at all, as I'm not trying to undo anything, just click on left mouse button to unpaint on the image (wich is pixel one)

Capture.JPG

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Bill. :)

15 minutes ago, Bill33 said:

when I try to use the Unpaint tool in Photo Persona ...

There is no 'Unpaint' tool in Affinity Photo. There is an Inpainting Brush Tool which works like the content-aware fill feature in Photoshop, filling in the target area with content from the source layer(s), and there is an Undo Brush Tool which uses the edit history to restore the pixels under the brush to a previous state. To remove an object from the picture, you need to use the Inpainting Brush Tool: you'll find it on the same toolbar flyout as the Healing Brush Tool.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Selection tool /removal of an object several times ,now I have attempted to do the same as the tutorial  with my picture ,click on the selection tool drag across to the object I wish to remove ,nothing ,the selection tool is inoperable no banding(?) nothing .I have the latest update /running win 10  HELP please  

max.jpg

• Staff

Hi smudg,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You don't have to create a selection first - just select the Inpainting Brush Tool and paint over the object you want to remove. I believe you are selecting the Selection Brush Tool by mistake (which has a icon similar icon). Check the screenshot below - the Inpainting Brush Tool is the one highlighted in blue. To access it you have to click the small grey triangle near the Healing Brush Tool to open a pop-up with  additional tools including the Inpainting Brush Tool.

inpainting_brush_tool.png