You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm watching a Chris Spooner tutorial (Retro Style Geometric Lines Illustrator & Photoshop Tutorial). 

At about the 1:20 mark he selects the vertical stripe pattern he created and chooses the new brush icon, the art brush and creates a new brush.

Then he makes a circle, clicks the newly created stripe brush and the circle is now filled with stripes that fill the circle and the strips are now circular. 

So, how do I do this in Affinity Designer?

Thanks

I´d put it this way:

Make a new document 930x930px.

Draw a white square of this exact size.

Above draw a black rectangle 930x30px

Hold alt+shift key down to duplicate and move down 60px

Hit cmd+J to power-duplicate until one last rectangle reaches the bottom of the document size.

Export whole document to PNG

Go Brushes->New Textured Image Brush and load you image.

Now you can apply this stripes to any kind of paths.

Cheers

P.

post-28670-0-18265500-1482587635_thumb.png

I am probably missing something but where did you find the Brushes->New Textured Image Brush option? The only new brush options I see are for Intensity, Round, Square, & Image.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You must be looking at the options in APh. Just to confuse us all, the Intensity and Image options in AD include the word "Textured".

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You must be looking at the options in APh. Just to confuse us all, the Intensity and Image options in AD include the word "Textured".

I see that now, but I am still not getting anything like in the thumbnail. At most, I get a brush with just one thin white stroke edge. When creating the file for PNG export, should the duplicates alternate white & black or something? All I get if all the dups are black is a PNG with one horizontal stripe across the top & everything else black.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@Alfred: we´re talking about Affinity Designer right?

Yes. (AD = Affinity Designer; APh = Affinity Photo.)

Alfred spacer.png

@R C-R: can you double click the brush to load its settings? Can you upload your image please?

This is what I get.

post-3524-0-44467700-1482595795_thumb.png

EDIT:

And why do you start looking up options in APh wenn the user wants to know how-to in AD?

Because in AD I was looking at the options in the Pixel Persona instead of the Draw Persona.  :wacko:

EDIT #2:

Well, Duh! I am definitely a few more crayons short of a box than normal this morning. When I read PixelPest's first post about how to create the png I somehow read "Above draw a black rectangle 930x30px" as "Above draw a black rectangle 930x930px." Obviously, that doesn't produce the desired striped pattern.

Edited by R C-R

Affinity Photo 

And why do you start looking up options in APh wenn the user wants to know how-to in AD?  :mellow:  

Cheers

P.

Because R C-R had posted:

I am probably missing something but where did you find the Brushes->New Textured Image Brush option? The only new brush options I see are for Intensity, Round, Square, & Image.

Alfred spacer.png

I´d put it this way:

Hit cmd+J to power-duplicate until one last rectangle reaches the bottom of the document size.

Cheers

P.

Thanks so much. I followed these instructions and I created exactly what you did in the image.

I would like to apply the stripes to the fill, not the stroke. How do I do this? 

Thanks

I would like to apply the stripes to the fill, not the stroke. How do I do this?

Select the object that you want to fill, choose the Fill Tool [G] and select 'Bitmap' from the Type dropdown list on the Context toolbar. In the dialog that pops up, navigate to the PNG image that you saved earlier and open it.

Alfred spacer.png

So I still wonder how your texture image looks like.

See my second edit below 'this is what I get' for the explanation (basically, stupidity on my part).

Affinity Photo 

R C-R,

the post DID say 

High-End Photographic Prints

• 2 years later...
On 12/24/2016 at 1:54 PM, PixelPest said:

I´d put it this way:

Cheers

P.

Hello @PixelPest does the approach for creating a stripe brush work for coloured stripes? I substituted a 6 colour stripe for the black and white stripes in your instructions. This created a greyscale stripe when I used the png image for the stroke (screen snip attached). The png image displays as colour when I use it with the fill tool as a bitmap, but unfortunately this approach doesn't follow the cues of my stroke.  I'm guessing the problem will be something to do with a setup that I've got wrong, as the standard png images like 100 scarf and 128 rope are also greyscale when I use them. My document is set up as CMYK and I have changed this to the other options to see if that solved the problem and it doesn't. Hoping you can help? Thank you!

Screenshot 2019-02-25 at 07.39.50.png

On 12/24/2016 at 1:54 PM, PixelPest said:

I´d put it this way:

Cheers

P.

Hello @PixelPest does the approach for creating a stripe brush work for coloured stripes? I substituted a 6 colour stripe for the black and white stripes in your instructions. This created a greyscale stripe when I used the png image for the stroke (screen snip attached). The png image displays as colour when I use it with the fill tool as a bitmap, but unfortunately this approach doesn't follow the cues of my stroke.  I'm guessing the problem will be something to do with a setup that I've got wrong, as the standard png images like 100 scarf and 128 rope are also greyscale when I use them. My document is set up as CMYK and I have changed this to the other options to see if that solved the problem and it doesn't. Hoping you can help? Thank you!

Thank you so much @summersara and @reglico . What a wonderful simple solution. It's easy when you know how :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 10:51 AM, summersara said:

Hi, Becca T

If your creating a new textured image brush (which should be coloured) and it paints grey scale, just make sure the colour box on the context toolbar is set to transparent, should have a red line through it, now try painting with your stripe brush.

On 2/25/2019 at 10:52 AM, reglico said:

Hello BeccaT,

You must set the color of the stroke to none so that it appears in color on the drawing.

Pinceau transparent.jpg

Hello

Thanks to your help previously I have a lovely coloured stripe stroke  :) I must still be doing something wrong though: the stroke drawing does not create the same CMYK colours that are in the original affinity designer and png files. Do you have recommendations? Perhaps document settings that I've missed or something else? I hope you can help. Thank you!

Screenshot 2019-03-07 at 08.07.18.png

Screenshot 2019-03-07 at 08.07.30.png

Screenshot 2019-03-07 at 08.08.14.png

Hello BeccaT,

This could be due to a difference in the colorimetric profile between the documents (the one in which the brush was created and the one in which you apply it).
Try changing the profile of your document to find the colors you originally chose (Files, Settings, Color). On my screenshot the same brush is applied with two different profiles.

I hope this will help you.

Profils de couleurs.jpg

On 3/7/2019 at 9:38 AM, reglico said:

Hello BeccaT,

This could be due to a difference in the colorimetric profile between the documents (the one in which the brush was created and the one in which you apply it).
Try changing the profile of your document to find the colors you originally chose (Files, Settings, Color). On my screenshot the same brush is applied with two different profiles.

I hope this will help you.

Profils de couleurs.jpg

Hello

Sorry to come back with another question. I have checked my document settings - thanks for the suggestion @reglico - I had thought they were the same but in fact the original file was 'print' and the file with the strip was 'print (press-ready)'. So I changed them both to 'print (press-ready)' . I seem to be having some problem between these two file settings though. Either way, I still have the same colour change problem: the stripe document used to create the png is a different CMYK colour when it is used as a brush. Is this something like the logo thread your shared @summersara? If you have any ideas about what else to check, that would be great. Thank you!

This is the file used to create the stripes, showing document set up and CMYK number126345369_Screenshot2019-03-08at15_05_36.png.d36566085f9e8ee877fb45fbe11de977.png

This is the document setup for the png file that is imported to create the stripe image brush1576876922_Screenshot2019-03-08at11_01_57.png.42a0639ca1e48fb864111f479f8ac125.png

This is the document setup for the file where I've used the stripe brush, and the colour picker shows the change in CMYK colour. 1482734687_Screenshot2019-03-08at15_08_15.png.b22c0768219632d2c801fb5ed7ecf537.png

Screenshot 2019-03-08 at 14.31.15.png