You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tell Aff. Photo to open images at 300 dpi, not 72 dpi?

Hi guys, now I have another question...  :)

I do a lot of printing, so I use Affinity Photo to create my print designs. Of course, I design with the dpi set at 300. My issue is that every time I add a photo, (drag & drop) it comes in at 72 or 96 DPI, which of course makes it WAY too big. I have to zoom way out and scale it down to fit my document. Is there any way to change how Affinity imports photos to tell it to import to the current document dpi setting?

Also, I think there's a bug with zooming. I've crashed it a couple of times by zooming in/out really fast. 

For God loved the [whole] world so much that he gave his one and only Son,
so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

buddingphotographer,

regarding the zoom in / out - I do not have that problem, so something else may be causing that issue.

High-End Photographic Prints

Thanks DesignMeister, I guess I didn't make myself clear... 

I already have a document @ 300 dpi. Now say I want to add a photo to it, so I find a photo in Windows Explorer, and drag it into my 300 dpi document. Now, instead of fitting approximately to the size of my document, the photo becomes many times larger, and I need to zoom far out to see the whole thing, like this:

post-44284-0-29374000-1482527534_thumb.jpg

The document in question in the screenshot above is a 300 dpi Letter-size (8.5x11 inch) document, and it looks like a postage stamp compared to a 16 MP photo imported at 72 dpi. 

I think Affinity is reading the "dpi" value of the photos in question, because I tried a photo that was saved as "300 dpi", and Affinity imports it as 300 dpi. 

All I'm asking is that Affinity ignore the misleading "dpi" reading that most photos have embedded in them, and import according to the dpi that I set when I create a new document. (Usually 300 dpi)

You would need to forego the drag/drop process and place the image using the loaded cursor to drag out a smaller dimension of the image(s). And if it needs to be an exact size, after placing the image(s) use the transform panel to size it.

Mike

You would need to forego the drag/drop process and place the image using the loaded cursor to drag out a smaller dimension of the image(s). And if it needs to be an exact size, after placing the image(s) use the transform panel to size it.

Mike

Ok, I guess that works, thanks! I still think it should be a simple enough thing to implement though. Having to "place" an image takes a whole lot longer than just dragging it into Affinity. I'm not asking for precise placement or dimensions; I just want to bring in the image at the DPI that my canvas/document is set to.