You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Capture One

I am attempting to reduce or eliminate Adobe from my workflow.

I have encountered a problem when exporting scanned images from Affinity Photo to Capture One. It seems that the .tif files contain an alpha channel that is not compatible with Capture One. This is not the case when exporting from Lightroom or Photoshop (both due for replacement).

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Can you suggest solution?

Thanks,

Stan

I am attempting to reduce or eliminate Adobe from my workflow.

…music to my ears!

I have encountered a problem when exporting scanned images from Affinity Photo to Capture One.

Did you click the "open tiff files" option in C1 preferences?

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

But entirely irrelevant to the question being asked...

The comment is a comment… just approving as I did

the same move three years ago.

I offered Stan a possible hint, did you?

www.kodiakmedia.at

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

The latest version of Capture One Pro (v10) has improved TIFF handling capabilities.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Yes 'enable Tiff editing' is selected.

Salut Stan!

Then, I see only one solution:

the problem is in the export of AP, click to check this tiny box!

…hope that helps!

grab2.jpg

www.kodiakmedia.at

(Charlychuck)

I think AP always sees itself as RGBA even if your background layer isn't set to transparency.

A bit weird but OK. I find it weirder that C1 just doesn't work with alpha channel files apparently ? Just ignoring the alpha would be enough :).

In the document menu or layer menu is an option to enable or disable background layer being transparent. Maybe that helps in the export.

Otherwise a quick imagemagick command to strip the alpha channel (or something similar ) is required .

For what it's worth , I work with negative raw scans from vuescan as well and it works fine in AP (auto level / curves not having an auto mode with threshold is a bit of a pain, and supporting colorperfect would be icing on the cake ) but I can invert, fix balance (with help of Nik Color Efex) and fix defects with the help of the IR channel all fine within AP...

.. PS just works a bit easier and faster for this stuff I find.

Thanks jorismak,

I have been in this industry for a long time, I sometimes yearn for the good old days before standard platforms, then I remember the price we paid for closed loop systems. Fortunately I was selling them and got paid commission...

I have no issue processing the files in Affinity Photo and also use Nik software when needed. I am favouring the raw conversion in Capture One for my NEF files and want to keep a unified file system for electronic-capture and scanned files. Using LR for this task alone seems a waste of energy and I am not a fan of cloud-based solutions.

I don't think the issue is with Affinity Photo alone, the files from VueScan don't open in Capture One as well. It may well be a unique implementation in Capture One.

Again, I think I ask too much.

And thanks to you and Kodiak for your supportive response. I'll keep you posted if and when I find an 'Adobe-Free' solution.

Stan

I am not a fan of cloud-based solutions.

Lightroom and PhotoShop are no more "cloud based" than is Affinity Photo.

I'll keep you posted if and when I find an 'Adobe-Free' solution.

And again - this is off topic and irrelevant: your personal "issues" with Adobe are of no significance here.

Pointless, needless Adobe-bashing is a recipe for a thread disintegrating into a flame-fest, and nobody needs to know (or cares about) your personal motivations for using Capture One and Affinity Photo.

This forum exists for discussion of Affinity products, not for you to exercise your anti Adobe agenda...

Keith Reeder

Wow, merry Xmas Keith Reeder!

I thought everyone on every post has an 'anti-adobe'agenda - whether blatantly or not.

It is (one of the reasons) why many of us bought AP. Ironic really as AP by its own existence is 'anti-adobe'.

I don't see why looking for a 'non-adobe' solution is an issue. Many of us are looking to maximise value while minimizing cost.

A merry Xmas to all!

Cheers P

Wow, merry Xmas Keith Reeder!

I thought everyone on every post has an 'anti-adobe'agenda - whether blatantly or not.

It is (one of the reasons) why many of us bought AP. Ironic really as AP by its own existence is 'anti-adobe'.

I don't see why looking for a 'non-adobe' solution is an issue. Many of us are looking to maximise value while minimizing cost.

A merry Xmas to all!

Cheers P

+1

This being the second time I read something off

(in my opinion too) from Keith.

All the best for the new year Paul, Keith, Stan and AiDon!

www.kodiakmedia.at

(Charlychuck)

and nobody needs to know (or cares about) your personal motivations for using Capture One and Affinity Photo.

I for one certainly do as these considerations are the prime

ingredients in establishing an easy going workflow!

www.kodiakmedia.at

(Charlychuck)

Ignoring the stupid rants in this thread, about the real problem:

Affinity Photo exports tiff files without an alpha channel if the document doens't need one. In the Document menu, uncheck 'transparent background'.

And in the TIFF export dialog, click 'more' and there is an option for the matte to be used. It defaults to 'transparent' color (white with a red line through it). If you select another color there, Affinity makes all (possible) transparent areas that color and exports a TIFF file without transparency, regular RGB.

This all being said, I created a new document in Affinity and exported it with an alpha channel and one without. And both import fine into Capture One 9 here. Transparent areas are made black though.

So I don't understand your issue. Files open file here.

If I process scans from VueScan in Affinity One, I go to the 'channels' tab, right-click the 'Background Alpha' channel and click 'Fill' and the alpha / transparency is gone. Or I right-click it and click 'to grayscale layer' and I have the IR data in a separate layer to use (and then right-click and click 'fill' to remove the transparency effect).

If I export it to tiff, the files open fine in Capture One 9 here.