You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector rasterized when opened in Affinity Designer

I have a stock photo account with Adobe and buy .ai files every once in a while. I've opened .ai files in Designer before and not had any problems, but I opened a file just now and the image is not only completely rasterized but looks nothing like the original picture. Rather than crisp outlines, it's basically a blob. I have checked the view settings and it's in vector view mode.

Any advice?

• Staff

Hi phippsma,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Not all Illustrator features are supported in Affinity Designer. Gradient meshes and certain effects for example must be converted to raster images when we import them. Without seeing your file it's difficult to guess what's going on but that's probably the reason why this is happening... If you could upload the file using this link i can check this out for you. Don't forget to add you forum's username to the file name (@phippsma).

All files will be deleted after being checked. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MEB,

Thanks, I've uploaded the file and would really appreciate it if you could check it out. I've used .ai files a number of times in both Photoshop and your Designer program without issue, so I was a bit surprised by this. It's not even that the image rasterizes—it rasterizes into an unrecognizable blob compared to the original image. I just don't want to have to buy a month's worth of Illustrator to sort out one file when I bought to program to purposely avoid such an expense.