You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Converting jpg to vector in Affinity Photo

Hello. I am creating 3' x 8' banners and need to expand my photos to fit that large size. In the past I've used Adobe Illustrator and converted the jpgs to vector objects and retained the image definition. Is there a way to do that in Affinity Photo? 

If there is no way, is there a way to enlarge the photos to retain the resolution? 

Thank you!

Paul

as of right now, the only options would be:

1) tracing the image manually; or

2) using an external software... If this the route chosen, for what you need you could try with

as of right now, the only options would be:

1) tracing the image manually; or

2) using an external software... If this the route chosen, for what you need you could try with

Thanks for the quick reply!

It would be great if Affinity added such a feature in future versions. 

I've given Super Vectorizer 2 a quick try. Not sure if this software is good enough, at least, not for me. For instance, i loaded a clock icon with the following specs: 1200x1200 .png file, clock itself is 768x768 circle (as perfect as a .png could be, i believe), clock is dark blue on a transparent background. SV2 fails to recognise the circle shape of the clock (as well as a few of the elements of the clock which are also circles) and produces a vector which, when you start enlarging it, exposes the imperfections.

For a tool which can be considered a one trick pony, i believe the price of €30 (special offer: €20) is too high. I would expect more built-in intelligence for such a price (compare this with AD or AP which both offer a lot of functionality for a slightly higher price).

The best tracing tool is the one that's available to you, but I surely hope that when the Serif guys build in a tracing tool they will take care of building in strong intelligence.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

• 2 weeks later...

Just use http://www.autotracer.orgfor vector creation-

if you squeeze the setup a bit you get quite professional usable results - and it's free.

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

Note: Currently, as of January 10, 2017 for sale: €1,99. Makes it a different story.

Thanks very much for the heads up on the sale price! Yes, it does make a huge difference.  :)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7