You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wireless or not graphic tablet?

Hi guys

Been doing a lot of researching on tablets for use with my photography and I think I'm going for the Intuos pro medium. I see it comes with wireless connectivity and I'm wondering how effective it is as it's a feature you obviously pay for and if it's not that reliable then maybe the cheaper Intuos Pen & Touch models more useful?.I'd like to make full use of it's features with Affinity.

Thanks

Steve

Gasman,

I have that tablet, and I have found the wireless capability to be fine - although I always have it wired - along with all my other devices (keyboard / mouse / etc.).

Not sure if this helps you?

High-End Photographic Prints

Steve,

It's just a personal preference. It drives me crazy keep having to change batteries, or charge devices.

Wireless sounds like a good idea, but getting half way through something, and then having to stop to charge devices, or change batteries really annoys me :)

I also have a Nikon camera, but have never tried wi-fi transfer on that, but then again, I usually only take indoor product photos, and therefore use it tethered.

PLEASE NOTE:

I personally could not get the accompanying software to work correctly with my usual image editing software. I configured the buttons to perform certain functions, but some of them acted erratically. I have not tried them with AP or AD.

Maybe try Searching the interwebs to see if others are having this issue.

If you care to wait until after Christmas, I can test them on AP / AD, and let you know if they work ok for me?

LocationEarth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Sub-Group, Local Group (Local Galaxy Cluster), Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, (Local Supercluster Group), Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex, (Galaxy Filament)

… and the house number is?   :D

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

7 - of course!  :)

Gasman,

what OS are you using, as I only have Macs to test the tablet software on?

Thanks.

Is a matter of opinions, but in my experience I came to solid conclusions  :

- I never purchase wacom in wireless version (and in mouse or keyboard, there IS a delay. If you have been -I have, quite rather- an avid FPS gamer, you'd know. This affects more than people think in your every day graphic design or editing work (repetitive tasks, speed...You get used to whatever the device behavior, though.).  ) Plus adds often a cost to a tablet which you don't need to pay.

- Touch versions : This also is my POV, but that's not needed, works wrong with some applications, and in several models it increase crazily the price.

- If you want to use the tablet more  than for photo retouch, or you need to do some profiling in some work (and well, if you need inking... not even the  medium...) introduced in your editing, or, if you want to have the best money/capabilities/quality ration, go by all means for a MEDIUM size, always. That or larger, but the L  version is much more expensive, and only in the pro line (so is not the best bang for the buck). The basic, Intuos line is today, IMO, an actual professional device, if in the medium size. Don't care about the Comic or Photo version, only difference is software (and you are using Affinity, IMO thousand times better and more professional !!! ). Go for the Intuos Medium Draw, no touch. You get all the power at a rather smaller cost. I can't remember the typical term by a reviewer... The golden purchase or sth  (best quality for the money put in it )

You can do whatever, but that is hands down, the best offer. There's an amazing offer if you are heavily into 3D sculpting, Wacom is offering a reduced version of Zbrush with a medium(I believe) Intuos.

I used to have just a Graphire (A6 size, previous to Bamboo, which is previous to Intuos as a basic line) , and later another small size, Intuos Pro. Was NOT happy.  I had used that (the lil old trusty graphire) to make tons of full graphics and drawings collections of assets for video games, at companies (back in 2001 !!! ). I mean, of course is usable, with tricks. Then, after a bunch of other tablets, I purchased an XL, and what a world of difference. I don't recommend XL anymore. WOrks for me, but is huge in any usual desktop. Anyway seems not listed in their product list anymore.  "Large" (L) is, and it's great. Even more, there are now VERY attractive pricing in cintiq alternatives.  There are HUIONs and XP Pen tablets in prices from 300 to 450 $, and they kind of do what a Cintiq does! IMO, is the big size, 22 inches, what actually allows accuracy, like the Intuos 4 XL does. Just much better as is on screen. Still, I'm not sure I'd get used to that, as I didn't with a 12 inches Cintiq I had for almost a year -sold to a dear friend of mine- but that's very dependent on each person.  Today I believe I will end up buying very soon a Cintiq alternative -not the 2500 bucks ones from Wacom- but wacom has released its 16 inches Mobile Studio, a super joy thing which is a portable computer with Win 10, and am strongly tempted to put together those 2000 csh for it.... Will see. As a tool for a professional am also very tempted to go for an XP 22 inches, or the so acclaimed Yiynova, most recent model. High quality IPS panel and pretty good in all departments (yet I hope Yiynova, Microsoft (MS Studio, huge nice size, but jitter in the pen and big gloss reflections...grrr) and others one freaking day might understand artists, many of us we work 14 hours a day, no need for glossy screens! grrrr. But have seen vids of people putting successfully anti gloss films to th Yiynova )

For good reference :

http://www.yiynova.com

http://yiynova.eu

http://www.xp-pen.com

https://www.huiontablet.com

One word about it, though. I still believe is better to get used to a regular tablet. Easier on your eyesight and ergonomics, and cheaper to replace, which is key if you are a freelancer pro without a great balance in your bank. Still, I am more and more seeing the huge advance that can be to have that as an additional, complementary tool, for things like inking or other accurate line art work. I don't see myself drawing 14 hours a day over a warm screen, that's for sure. But totally doing sessions of 2 - 3 hours.

There are other brands. But in my very long time research, a bit obsessive, I reckon, those are my favs. I know am going a bit off topic, but IMO, at some point of the hobby (I was a hobbyist before getting to live from it ) you "might" want... more.   :D

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

LocationEarth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Milky Way Sub-Group, Local Group (Local Galaxy Cluster), Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, (Local Supercluster Group), Pisces-Cetus Supercluster Complex, (Galaxy Filament)

That's a blatant lie, your IP is telling me you are located in a paralel universe. Tsk, tsk... people keep trying to hide real identity is so lame.....   :P

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I feel like I'm in a parallel universe sometimes!  (especially after just reading multiple different threads all about the same thing - PPI / DPI)    :)

I'm also a freelancer,and my second 27" monitor has a matte screen and is so much easier on the eye.

Although I love my Wacom Intuos Pro (M), I too am looking at a Yiynova IPS as a possible future investment :)

Thanks for the info guys and to SrPx for the in depth report. I have heard that the Huions can have bother with the drivers not sure if that is still the case?. Good luck with a Yiynova, can't quite justify one of those yet or if I could sneak one past SWMBO .

Happy Christmas to all on the forum!.

...I have heard that the Huions can have bother with the drivers not sure if that is still the case?.===

I haven't had a problem w. the Huion I have. Bought it shortly after getting AD in the summer. The pressure sensitivity is hard to control w. my arthritic hands, but it is responsive otherwise. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I feel like I'm in a parallel universe sometimes!  

I sometimes feel am in this one.   :rolleyes:

Yep, yiynova....but I'm intrigued by the XP Pen one sold in Amazon, first hand. 22 inches tablet monitor and 300 to 400 only, and reports are good... Quite a temptation...

The huion, I was referring to the screen tablet, not the regular cheap tablets -quite cheaper than intuos and still good- 

The Huion, it seems, like with the Yiynova, you'd better with the latest models. The first generations in most brands -although most come from UC Logic hardware, i believe, just rebranding and some customization- were TN screens, bad angles, bad contrast ratio, etc. be sure when buying anything with a screen being it an IPS panel. OR, a _VA  panel (MVA, etc) . Those are much slower in refresh than IPS, but can get deeper blacks and amazing contrast ratios. IMO IPS is a safer bet. The latest Yiynova, Huion, and XP Pen , I believe are all IPS...

I have the Intous Pro Small and use it on both Mac & Windows systems for AP/AD as well as other graphic applications.  I have found the wireless connection to work as well as running the Tablet wired.

I have a pretty busy studio and my desktops can get really cluttered with all sorts of cabling for image/video/audio capture so having the ability to eliminate a cable is a god send. It also nice to be able to lean back in my chair in a more relaxed mode, put my feet up and be able to retouch a portrait without having a cable draped over my feet :)

I find the internal battery lasts a long time. When I have finished for the day I just plug it into a USB charger so it is fully charged for the next day.

MK

I just decided to dip my toes into tablets. Don't really do any retouching, but some repetitive design, and want to play around with inking.

This is Mac compatible. Does anyone have experience with the UGEE M1000L (seems to be made by Huion) and if will be ok start out with.

https://goo.gl/VazJBy

Michael

------
AD 1.7.1, AP 1.7.1;Hhave ADW, Serif PagePlus X8 and X9 on an old PC
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB; 1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Wacom Intuos 5 Pro (wireless - without lagging).

Visit my site: TechniSmart (when I ever find time to work on it)

Thanks for that Mike. You find the small Intuos ok? I was told the tablet should be roughly the size of the screen and my monitor is 24"!

Regards

Steve

Some people say the small tablets should only be used for small screens... I don't have a definite opinion on that. I only know that for actually DRAWING, if done seriously, and specially, inking, the larger the better. For specifically inking, even with the largest one (my XL) you end up using tricks like stabilization or other averaging, be it with vector or raster tools. I've heard from people deep in the professional photo retouch (magazines, etc), I mean, high end retouching, from some of those, small tablets are even better, as is a very different task to make for example, line art for comic or poster. For inking, in general, I rather advice direct to screen tools (ie, cintiq or the cheaper tablet-screens alternatives. Or simply and iPad Pro. ), and if can use stabilization, even better, as the technology is not free of the common issues for drawing. Is just a tad better, the situation, but still not like manually inking, painting or penciling. Stuff can be done, of course!. But imo, not as accurate as your hand and traditional pen and paper. I work with it and pull a lot of work, so is definitely possible, and the advantages of digital inking or painting , an specially, editing, compensate very largely the accuracy lost. For illustrator and comic inkers (a penciler, imo, can do better with a tablet, and a painter/illustrator "oils/acrylics" realistic style, much more) I'd very much recommend a Cintiq (no need for touch or wireless in my POV, even if just for the significant price difference) , but some alternatives like the yiynova (with an antigloss film applied!) , and probably the XP-pen tablet or the most recent tablet-monitor from Huion, are IMO the way to go if pretend to ink in the computer. Still, you can ink with a regular A6 tablet with stabilization in the software, or, in certain types of illustration or comic, much better if using Illustrator and configuring well its powerful averaging settings for the brush.

I just decided to dip my toes into tablets. Don't really do any retouching, but some repetitive design, and want to play around with inking.

This is Mac compatible. Does anyone have experience with the UGEE M1000L (seems to be made by Huion) and if will be ok start out with.

https://goo.gl/VazJBy

Michael

For inking, I refer to what is mentioned above. With an A6 and the problems of accuracy, you will then need tricks. Quite (averaging and/or stabilization). I don't find repetitive tasks not involving drawing faster  than with a mouse + keyboard... (ie, design) . But that's an opinion. If you are to buy a cheap small tablet, I'd rather recommend staying with wacom. An Intuos ART (I had recommended before the Draw one, while that hasn't got the medium size. The Art has.) SMALL with no wireless, no touch, is really dirty cheap. The other Intuos models only differ in the bundled software, and I guess you don't need that. For me, is in the higher gamma when make sense an alternative brand. A cintiq of 22+ and up costs from 2k to 3k dollars, if I remember well. There are alternative brands tablets for 300,400, 700 US dollars, which according to reviews, despite some quirks you just need to know beforehand so to know if you can live with them, I can, for several models. While the absolute total wet dream in quality and everything is the Cintiq QHD, not every one can afford that, and most of all, is the replacement cost. If I get used to a 3k dollar tablet, and get it broken out of warranty, or just need to replace after some years, is 3k everytime... no thanks... To me, regular large tablets, or montor screens from alternative brands. I have a sensible limit of 700k, ideally staying in the 300- 400 range for a  tablet. Again, maybe that's just me...

I remember the times drawing with an A6 small tablets... that's a point I really really do not want to return.  Medium, maybe, Large, ideally, if this XL jewel gets broken (has already a slight bump, but is not affecting the drawings, just a bit annoying, lol...) . For the Intuos 4, there was this huuuge movement in the internet complaining about this "texture" type of plastic was going to be scratched easily... I guess people press REALLY HARD on their tablets, lol... years since purchase (intuos 4!), not a single scratch in my tablet...True that i replaced soon -but not after some months- the tip with soft one (the pen stand comes with replacement tips inside, you need to open it, not all models have this, tho), but i was not scratching it either with the regular one...

About the model you mention....for so little model, I prefer not to gamble, the price of a Wacom the lowest model I believe is almost twice in amazon, but...still to little money, doesn't worth it the risk...Also, I don't like batteries in a pen...

Yep, is 179$ , 3 times more expensive, but IMO, a best buy in every sense. is the ART model, as the lowest end intuos, Draw, is not sold in the medium model.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010LHRVOY/

Andif is for very very basic stuff, you don't care about line accuracy, etc, is not like going with Wacom you'd go really expensive.  I mean: This is actually 64 bucks, only 15$ more expensive... 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010LHRFM2/

One thing I like about that model you are asking about is the active area. Quite big for that price. But I have not tested or watched or read any review about it...

It is 10x 6 inches of active area, a bit smaller than the wacom medium I recommend (10.75 x 8.75 inches) from Amazon. The strange thing is... the newest Art Medium size seem a tad smaller. Just visited the wacom site, and it says 8.5 x 5.3 inches for the medium size, 6x3.7 for the small... which imo... is way too small...i am not sure if the ~11x9 inches that Amazon has in that offer is accurate, as it seems the latest generation, unless Wacom has changed again its specs in the most recent wave...which could be. Also, usually, with every new version, accuracy and control is improved, that's a factor, too... 

You could take the risk with that ugee. if I wouldn't mind so much the battery on a pen (weight, and that i don't trust neither like batteries) I'd probably would prefer an Ugee that size than a Wacom small. But then again, I wouldn't buy anything below 10/8 inches wide. For my actual illustration, nothing smaller than a Large (L) Intuos pro model, though. If you don't mind the battery, that could be a nice purchase. If goes wrong, you can always give as a present/toy to someone you know. Or sell it for 30 bucks, I dunno. I just don't trust it as much as a Wacom, which still have not had a single hardware failure, I have 3 stored: A graphire, a Intuos 4("pro") Medium, and an Intuos 4 ("pro") Small. Even a Intuos 1  (wasn't called pro, but was pro) , still alive despite being wildly scratched from a colleague who made it so to make a joke of some kind... I mean, they're solid pieces of hardware that do last a lot if well treated. (don't put pressure on it, sth really slight is all you need, is not like a regular pen or pencil)

Thanks for that Mike. You find the small Intuos ok? I was told the tablet should be roughly the size of the screen and my monitor is 24"!

Regards

SteveI

No problems at all with the small model, and all three of my monitors are 27".  I did have the large version of the old Intous 3 and do not miss that beast at all

I have the Intuos Pro Medium tablet with the wireless feature and I love it. There is no delay at all and works exactly the same with or without the wire which you have to use to charge it but it doesn't take that long and you can use it while it is charging so there is no need for down time.

I have not had any issues at all with it though some softwares work better than others though that is a program dependant thing. If you place the programs in wacom's settings software then the tablet will adjust to the software where as if you don't sometimes there can be misalignments that happen but it is a per software thing and not the tablet directly.

I tried the smaller versions and I like the size of the medium, the large is way too big and I don't have anywhere that I can put a tablet that big. You can adjust the way the tablet works to use one screen if you have multiple monitors or one screen for one application and another for something else or operating system dependent features, like controlling what programs open when you click a button. If you do a lot of fine work then I would say the Medium Inuos Pro is the best option. I wouldn't go with something smaller.  The thing I like about the medium version is that it has more programmable buttons which helps a lot compared to the lesser versions or even the non-pro tablets.

The only thing I don't like about the pen that comes with it is the rubber coating on the bottom half of the pen collects dust and dirt which does not clean off. Other than that I don't have any negative to say about this tablet. 

As mentioned, for photo retouch you don't need the large or XL. Some (really highly skilled pros at that) even prefer the small. For line art illustration or comic inking, I'd say the medium (pro or intuos) is clearly inferior in accuracy and the control that provides compared to a large or XL (I've worked in all sizes, for long each). I would agree though that the XL -I believe not sold anymore- is too big, but for an illlustrator...I prefer to find the space (I have a big desktop and certain "invention" to handle the situation, and I don't mean the ideal thing, an ergotron arm) but not loosing these advantages. Again, for just painting or retouching, you are good to go with the medium...

• 1 year later...

I've been using only XP-Pen tablets for the past 3 years. The pen nibs wear out eventually, but can be easily replaced. I could probably still use the first one today if I had a serial port. 

My XP-Pen DECO 03 has a wireless module that I purchased with the tablet.I do not use the tablet wired, only when recharging. 

I don't use wireless input devices other than mice.

I have this 

https://www.xp-pen.com/goods/show/id/380.html

deco 03 offical store

https://www.storexppen.com/buy/65.html

Yep +1 for the XP-Pen Deco 03, the wireless feature is cool and actually works, if you buy one the wireless dongle is in the tubular pen case along with multiple nibs, the reason I say that is because the Deco 03 also comes with a second USB device and people have been confusing that for the wireless dongle. You don't get wireless dropouts it stays connected and is a solid performer, I'd recommend the Deco 03 to anybody. I now use an XP-Pen Artist 12.

Using wireless you just have to get into the habit of connecting to wire to recharge after use.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, huamen said:

deco 03 offical store

https://www.storexppen.com/buy/65.html

That’s the Artist Display 12 at US$249. The Deco 03 ($99) is here: https://www.storexppen.com/buy/56.html

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)