hp-ap

Affinity Photo file associations

New user here, using Affinity Photo on a Windows 10 X64 box.

After installation I noticed that AP had set itself to be the default application for .dng files.

Of course I could undo this by going to the Windows file associations settings, but it is something that I feel should not be necessary.

If it is necessary for some reason I think the installer should ask the user during installation if he wants the program to be the default application for certain extensions.

On a slightly different but related note: I think it would be nice when the program would be listed in the Windows Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Default Programs hierarchy. That way the user could easily check for which extensions he wants the application to be the default.

Thank you for listening,

Enjoy!

Herman

Hi herman,

Welcome to the forums - I see how that could be a problem - I'll pass that onto the installation team.

Living the Dream since 1964 - about 25 years left

Hi, we don't register ourselves as the default editor of any file extensions other than afdesign and afphoto. For other file formats, we add ourselves to the "Open With..." menu. Is there a chance you selected "Always open with this application" when opening a DNG file?

Thank you guys for responding!

@Mark

I think it is not very likely that I accidentally associated the DNG extension with AP myself.

My normal operation is that I use my DAM as the hub in my workflow; in the DAM I select some images, click the AP shortcut in the DAM and the images then automagically open in AP.

But you are right when you say that AP does not register itself as the default program.

I uninstalled the program, wiped all traces, installed from scratch and the DNG associations remain untouched.

So in the end I can not tell what happened here.

My apologies for any inconvenience caused!

Enjoy!

Herman

...Of course I could undo this by going to the Windows file associations settings, but it is something that I feel should not be necessary...

...I see how that could be a problem - I'll pass that onto the installation team.

This still appears to be an issue in version version 1,5,1,54.

...For other file formats, we add ourselves to the "Open With..." menu. Is there a chance you selected "Always open with this application" when opening a DNG file?

No, I did not choose to set AP as my default editor in the Open With... menu.

I was, finally, familiarizing myself with AP. It was after playing around in AP after a day that I noticed my defaul application for .TIF, .RAF, and .NEF had changed to AP despite never opening any RAW files in AP. I did, however, open several TIF files from withing AP (not through Open With...).

Jenn Z.

I've recently bought Affinity - and it associated itself with all my zip and similar files. Very annoying. Also - in Windows 10, Affinity Photo does not show up in the list of installed Apps (it does show in the old Control Panel list); this makes it difficult to re-assign file associations.

38 minutes ago, Scampo2426 said:

I've recently bought Affinity - and it associated itself with all my zip and similar files. Very annoying. Also - in Windows 10, Affinity Photo does not show up in the list of installed Apps (it does show in the old Control Panel list); this makes it difficult to re-assign file associations.

Hi, neither Affinity Designer nor Affinity Photo register for the zip file extension. We do not support zip files.

On my Surface Pro 3, Serif Affinity Photo has automatically become associated to open .cap files (a BIOS file) - and I cannot change this. I certainly did not create this association, so if it isn't built into Affinity, then it must, presumably, be a bug in Affinity or Windows 10.

Affinity-cap.JPG

9 hours ago, Scampo2426 said:

On my Surface Pro 3, Serif Affinity Photo has automatically become associated to open .cap files (a BIOS file) - and I cannot change this. I certainly did not create this association, so if it isn't built into Affinity, then it must, presumably, be a bug in Affinity or Windows 10.

Affinity-cap.JPG

The same as with the .zip files, we do not register .cap files. 

So - it was a ghost in the machine! There are about twenty separate file associations now linked to Affinity Photo on my computers - and I didn't make it happen. There must be a bug somewhere - in Affinity or Windows 10.