You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, Spinal21. :)

Affinity brushes don't offer opacity control as such, but the accumulation settings should do something similar enough to be useful to you. Double-click a brush to display the 'Brush - Editing' dialog, set the Accumulation slider on the General tab to somewhere between 40% and 60% and then go to the Dynamics tab and do the same to the Accumulation Jitter setting. Change the controller to 'Pressure' via the dropdown list on the right-hand side.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you  Alfred,

for your answer and advice, I made settings according your instructions and it works, but personally I gues that easier way would be to create preassure opacity control icon. The reason is that now I need to set each brush separately. Affinity photo is realy great program and your work too, carry on :-)

best regards

Spinal21 

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, Spinal21. :)

Affinity brushes don't offer opacity control as such, but the accumulation settings should do something similar enough to be useful to you. Double-click a brush to display the 'Brush - Editing' dialog, set the Accumulation slider on the General tab to somewhere between 40% and 60% and then go to the Dynamics tab and do the same to the Accumulation Jitter setting. Change the controller to 'Pressure' via the dropdown list on the right-hand side.

Accumulation is the very same thing as Opacity in PS.

They only named it in a different way.

Thank you  Alfred,

for your answer and advice, I made settings according your instructions and it works, but personally I gues that easier way would be to create preassure opacity control icon.

Yep, no "Force Accumulation" button yet...

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Accumulation is the very same thing as Opacity in PS.

They only named it in a different way.

Thanks, Paolo. I've always wondered about that, but I got the distinct impression from discussion in other threads that the two aren't quite the same, so I thought there might be technical reasons why we don't have an opacity control in the Affinity brush settings.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks, Paolo. I've always wondered about that, but I got the distinct impression from discussion in other threads that the two aren't quite the same, so I thought there might be technical reasons why we don't have an opacity control in the Affinity brush settings.

Being picky Accumulation could be defined something "more".

As you said correctly with the A/AJ - 50/100 combo you are in the "classic" Opacity Jitter range: what we call "opacity" in PS is a subset of Affinity's Accumulation.

If you set Accumulation to values above 50% you go "faster" to opaque colour, allowing further dynamic experience.

Also lowering the jitter multiplier you can reach interesting effects.

The Brush Editor preview shows it clearly.

It is a matter of settings  :)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers