You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Seeing the mask in red or other color

artofmtl,

Are you referring to masking? If so, click the Quick Mask button at the top (under the menubar).

Hope that helps.

High-End Photographic Prints

No worries - glad I could help.

High-End Photographic Prints

• Staff

Hi Jacques,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Are you using the filter's built-in mask for this?

The Quick Mask only lets you create/edit selections. It doesn't let you see masks as overlays unless you refine the Mask using the Layer ▸ Refine Mask command which i don't think is what you are looking for.

Can you post a screenshot of you layer structure?

Hi Jacques,

The Quick Mask only lets you create/edit selections. It doesn't let you see masks as overlays unless you refine the Mask using the Layer ▸ Refine Mask command which i don't think is what you are looking for.

Hi Meb, I think that I am using the filter's built-in mask, but I am not sure. Now I am at work so tonight I will post a screen shot and explain what I want to do. Thank you

Hi Jacques,

Hi Meb, following our email exchange here<s what I did with Affinity Photo for Windows.

For me this is an exercise to see how I can remove some effects of a filter by using a New Live Filter Layer using a Denoise only on the sky.

First I went into Develop Persona to work on the Raw file file a little bit.

Second I went into Tone Mapping Persona to give more contrast and save the picture as a afphoto and exported the image BeforeTestDenoise_0153.jpg. You can see the noise on the sky.

From the result and following my idea of an exercise I want to reduce the noise in the sky but only the sky.

First test

I made a selection of the sky with the Selection Brush Tool.

Then I went into Layer and select Duplicate to duplicate the selection.

I added the New Live Filter Layer Denoise filter as a Mask to the Selection Layer and adjusted the filter.

What I want to do works, but if I click on Quick Mask everything is red.

But tonight I've right on the mask and selected Refine Mask and I can the see sky as blue and the rest as red in the Refine tool.

Then if I click apply and click again on the Quick Mask everything is red, I don't see the area that I masked.

You can see in the picture TestDenoise_0153_FirstTest.jpg that it is only on the sky.

You can look at the Layers panel in FirstTestLayers.jpg.

Second test

I added a New Live Filter Layer Denoise filter on top of the Background Layer and ajusted the Denoise.

Then select Layer and invert on the Denoise filter.

Then with the Paint Brush tool I apply the Denoise on the sky and it is working, only the sky is affected.

If I click on Quick Mask everything is red and if I put it as a mask everything is red.

You can look at the Layers panel in SecondTestLayers.jpg.

Third test

I added a New Live Filter Layer Denoise filter on top of the Background Layer with no adjustments.

I've click on Mask layer to create a mask for the Denoise filter.

I then adjusted the Denoise filter.

Then I selected the Mask of the Denoise and selected Layer and Invert.

I then painted with Paint Brush Tool on the sky and only the sky is affected.

But if I click on the Quick mask again it is red, I don<t see the the areas that I painted.

You can look at the Layers panel in ThirdTestLayers.jpg.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong so I can see the areas that I painted.

Thank you

Jacquespost-44577-0-45279800-1482453413_thumb.jpgpost-44577-0-55141700-1482453434_thumb.jpgpost-44577-0-69932700-1482453444_thumb.jpgpost-44577-0-80923900-1482453449_thumb.jpgpost-44577-0-01199900-1482453455_thumb.jpg

Hi Jacques,

Hi Meb,

I just realized that it was my mistake when using the Refine Mask.

I just retry by selecting Refine Mask on my mask and now it is working. I can now paint on the picture. My mistake was to click on Toggle Quick Mask while the windows of Refine Mask was Open. Then the windows was closing.

Now when I select Refine Mask I can paint on the picture and Refine the Mask.

I am sorry for your trouble.

Thank you Jacques

post-44577-0-22103300-1482456797_thumb.jpgpost-44577-0-71223900-1482456807_thumb.jpg

Hi, you can also do it this way;

First I would select the sky, (in the picture, not in the mask) then refine the selection (you will se the overlay).
Then you can add the filter and it will be added just to the sky. No need to paint on the mask if you have a good selection.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hi, you can also do it this way;

First I would select the sky, (in the picture, not in the mask) then refine the selection (you will se the overlay).

Then you can add the filter and it will be added just to the sky. No need to paint on the mask if you have a good selection.

Thank you Madame

• Staff

Hi artofmtl,

Sorry the delay getting back to you.

As i said earlier there's no way to see/edit an existing mask as an overlay unless you use the Refine Mask functionality. In this case you are not painting directly on the mask but instead telling the software which area to process which i believe in not what you were requesting. If i understood you correctly you wanted to paint directly on an existing mask using an overlay which isn't currently possible (directly).

Picking your third test as an example:

- You have added a Denoise filter and adjusted its value - all adjustments/filters have a built in mask which is all white be default meaning the filter will affect the whole image

- you have inverted the filter's masks turning it black - now the image in not affected in any place

- you painted the sky with the Paint Brush Tool with white - the filter is now affecting the areas you painted with white, that is, the sky

- then you clicked on the Quick Mask - the quick mask will create a totally new independent selection here. It will NOT pick the existing mask and use it - that's the issue i was referring to. If you want to use an overlay at this point using you existing mask your only option is to refine the mask. To do this select the mask in the Layers panel, go to menu Layer ▸ Refine Mask then use the Matte Brush (button) from the Refine dialog to paint over the boundaries between the land and the sky - the software will process them and will generate a clean selection from them -, and the Foreground button to add/define elements that belong to the sky (what you are actually selecting) and Background brush (button) to define what belongs to the land (which is not part the selection).

Hi artofmtl,

Sorry the delay getting back to you.

As i said earlier there's no way to see/edit an existing mask as an overlay unless you use the Refine Mask functionality. In this case you are not painting directly on the mask but instead telling the software which area to process which i believe in not what you were requesting. If i understood you correctly you wanted to paint directly on an existing mask using an overlay which i believe  isn't currently possible.

Picking your third test as an example:

- You have added a Denoise filter and adjusted its value - all adjustments/filters have a built in mask which is all white be default meaning the filter will affect the whole image

- you have inverted the filter's masks turning it black - now the image in not affected in any place

- you painted the sky with the Paint Brush Tool with white - the filter is now affecting the areas you painted with white, that is, the sky

- then you clicked on the Quick Mask - the quick mask will create a totally new independent selection here. It will NOT pick the existing mask and use it - that's the issue i was referring to. If you want to use an overlay at this point using you existing mask your only option is to refine the mask. To do this select the mask in the Layers panel, go to menu Layer ▸ Refine Mask then use the Matte Brush (button) from the Refine dialog to paint over the boundaries between the land and the sky - the software will process them and will generate a clean selection from them -, and the Foreground button to add/define elements that belong to the sky (what you are actually selecting) and Background brush (button) to define what belongs to the land (which is not part the selection).

Don't worry about the delay. Your help is most welcome since I am new to AP and never use PS before. So the learning curve is a little bit high but I love AP. Thank you for your explanations and the same time explaining what the Foreground and Background button are doing.