You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

If you added the vector eraser, I'd buy AD right away and leave AI for good! How's that?

And, I even changed my profile picture to an eraser to show how serious I am about it!

:rolleyes:

That is a very desired feature indeed. As discussed here, there is a work around. Select the layer or object you want and then select the mask icon. You can then make it look like you are erasing vector objects if you apply the eraser tool on it. One of the downfalls of this though is that you can't break apart and move the different erased sections since they are all the same object just in a mask.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

That is a very desired feature indeed. As discussed here, there is a work around. Select the layer or object you want and then select the mask icon. You can then make it look like you are erasing vector objects if you apply the eraser tool on it. One of the downfalls of this though is that you can't break apart and move the different erased sections since they are all the same object just in a mask.

This is not a workaround because it doesn't output vector only content.

Well there will also be a Slice Tool coming to Designer. Perhaps that would be a more proper workaround.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

ianrobertdouglas,

I do the same as you. I use subtract (from the Boolean operations) to "erase" things. It doesn't work nearly as well as a vector eraser would but it does work. When I began my search for an alternative to Adobe Illustrator, I bought two programs. Affinity Designer and iDraw (sorry I forgot the company but they have sense been bought out by another company). After trying them both out, I decided on Affinity Designer and I'm glad I did. While I'm glad I did, I do miss the vector eraser in iDraw. It worked well. I hope that the development team can add a vector eraser soon! It would be much appreciated!

Hokusai

• 1 month later...

Actually, It's a shame. AD is a hope replacing adobe workflow but how a vector software can compete with Ai without a basic and useful tool like that? It's essential for illustration and logo design. (Sorry my English)

Hello,

A YouTuber I had a chat with some time ago said that an Affinity staff member told him that a vector eraser tool is on the roadmap but it might be a while until it is implemented. If his words were true, then it is surely to come.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey, I love Affinity Designer! It's so great to break away from the Adobe CC madness and find a top quality vector program too!

I'd like to add my voice to those asking for vector eraser.  I'll be using the boolean subtract work around but it'd be great to have the vector eraser to edit the actual vector structure for situations where I can only use the exported vector data (for games and other programming projects).  Thanks for fighting the good fight!

Looking back at my comment from last year, did I really say to create a mask? No, that wouldn't be the proper thing to do. I agree that booleans are currently a better choice, but also don't forget about the "Break Curves" feature for some other cases.

Encouragement vibes!!

I work with VERY large, detailed world map source files, and often need to cut small geographical regions out of them for use in various projects. They must be vector, so the pixel persona work around isn't an option. Masking is possible but would blow out the memory of each vector map to a crazy extent. I keep a tame copy of Illustrator around for the vector eraser - very much looking forward to this feature coming to Designer!

MacBook Pro 15" 32GB RAM, iPad Pro 12.9" + Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil.  Software tools of my trade: Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | PDF Expert | Drafts | The Archive | Plutio  

https://eandrpublications.com.au

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2014-11-13 at 11:27 PM, MattP said:

It's fair to say that there will be a vector eraser in the future - all the code is already there except for just one tiny little bit that you wouldn't even think was that important - and it's that one little bit that changes the whole thing from being 'just another' implementation to a proper implementation - so until I can get that working (i.e. after I've delivered everything else I've promised, hehe) then it has to sit in my list - but at least it's there! :)

Any news on this @MattP

10 hours ago, retrograde said:

Any news on this @MattP

I'm listening.

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2014 at 2:27 AM, MattP said:

It's fair to say that there will be a vector eraser in the future - all the code is already there except for just one tiny little bit that you wouldn't even think was that important - and it's that one little bit that changes the whole thing from being 'just another' implementation to a proper implementation - so until I can get that working (i.e. after I've delivered everything else I've promised, hehe) then it has to sit in my list - but at least it's there! :)

I know this quote is from 2014, but I still appreciate you sharing some of the thinking behind why certain tolls are not yet implemented. Would this snag with the eraser tool apply equally to what Illustrator calls the blob tool?

When I design, I use different tools based on the kind of design I'm making. Sometimes its a technical pen tool task, other times I'm more free with the brush tool, but there are plenty of times I've used the blob tool in conjunction with the eraser tool to get what I'm looking for. 

Anxious to be able to have that level of control over my vectors in AD

• Staff

Hi dorian,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The implementation/development of new features depends on development goals/constraints/time, takes in account user's requests but can't be dictated by a voting/poll system: certain features may not be implemented until some work/dependencies have been finished or expanded in the same or in other apps of the suite (they share code), certain bugs corrected first or may require heavy research/testing/time which have to be balanced with development and/or commercial goals. We have a list of frequently/common requested features here for reference (to avoid duplicates) and the dev teams checks/follows the Feature Requests/Suggestions section all the time. Eventually the most requested features will end up in the application whenever possible.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...