You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Have you tried using a layer mask? 

Try this:  

1. Create a circle with the vector tools in draw mode.

2. then add a mask  to your object layer. 

3. switch to the pixel persona.

4. then use your eraser tool to erase what's visible in the mask layer

to bring back the information covered by the mask just use  your paint brush or a selection fill on the mask layer.

I know this not like erasing a vector information in a way I think freehand did  but it might be a suitable solution for what you are trying to achieve.

Good Luck :) 

• Staff

Currently there's no way to delete vectors like in Illustrator as Ronnie said.

However, there's no need to create a mask manually (unless you want to cover all the drawing with it). Just change to the Pixel Persona, select the Erase Brush and paint over your vector shapes. Make sure you have a layer or an object selected in the Layers panel. Affinity Designer will create and attach a mask to the layer or object selected automatically for you.

Duh, I didn't realize it did it automatically! Sweet! Thanks MEB! Old PS habits die hard. Thanks!

Or if you have a graphic tablet with an eraser tip on the end of the pen, just turn the pen over to the eraser end and it'll automatically choose the Erase tool - even in Draw Persona :)

What! Wicked!

Currently there's no way to delete vectors like in Illustrator as Ronnie said.

However, there's no need to create a mask manually (unless you want to cover all the drawing with it). Just change to the Pixel Persona, select the Erase Brush and paint over your vector shapes. Make sure you have a layer or an object selected in the Layers panel. Affinity Designer will create and attach a mask to the layer or object selected automatically for you.

Thanks for the info! Is an eraser tool in the Draw/vector/curves persona going to be added to the roadmap for a future release?

The graphic tablet eraser workflow is great and very intuitive but having the ability to edit a vector path after erasing would kick it up a notch. Sometimes you want to adjust you're shaking, hand drawn eraser stroke...

• Staff

It's fair to say that there will be a vector eraser in the future - all the code is already there except for just one tiny little bit that you wouldn't even think was that important - and it's that one little bit that changes the whole thing from being 'just another' implementation to a proper implementation - so until I can get that working (i.e. after I've delivered everything else I've promised, hehe) then it has to sit in my list - but at least it's there! :)

It's fair to say that there will be a vector eraser in the future - all the code is already there except for just one tiny little bit that you wouldn't even think was that important - and it's that one little bit that changes the whole thing from being 'just another' implementation to a proper implementation - so until I can get that working (i.e. after I've delivered everything else I've promised, hehe) then it has to sit in my list - but at least it's there! :)

That a respectable response I patiently will wait for :) I like "proper" 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also request a vector eraser tool. If a person exports the drawing as a PDF, the vector that was erased is not as sharp. Masking is a great feature to have, but the line quality still weakens. Please consider this request.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Staff

A vector eraser please!  A good example of a brilliant vector eraser is the one in Clip Studio Paint Pro‎ ( formerly Manga Studio ).  Keep up the great work!  I live the AD app.

Thanks!

:)

willieUSA,

Welcome to the Serif forums :)

Thanks for your input and the encouragement.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

A vector eraser please!  A good example of a brilliant vector eraser is the one in Clip Studio Paint Pro‎ ( formerly Manga Studio ).  Keep up the great work!  I live the AD app.

Thanks!

:)

I too wanted that particular function in Designer a long time back. Compared to just erasing, I love how it can wipe off any overshooting segments or an entire stroke. Very, very useful.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I too wanted that particular function in Designer a long time back. Compared to just erasing, I love how it can wipe off any overshooting segments or an entire stroke. Very, very useful.

Are you referring to the vector eraser in Clip Studio Paint? It is amazing. If this type of vector eraser gets implemented into Affinity Designer, it will take it to the next pro level.

Are you referring to the vector eraser in Clip Studio Paint? It is amazing. If this type of vector eraser gets implemented into Affinity Designer, it will take it to the next pro level.

Yes, I am referring to that very one. And yes, it certainly would.

• 2 months later...