You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting layers as image sequence?

I don't know for myself, but I will be watching this topic now. I know Affinity said they don't support animation, but I'm curious why the GIF export option exists.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Before gifs were used for low-Rez animation, they were used for still images and for spacing HTML...

I don't know for myself, but I will be watching this topic now. I know Affinity said they don't support animation, but I'm curious why the GIF export option exists.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Well, you could set each layer up as a slice, but without manually resizing each slice that will export as only the size of the object(s) on the "layer". Good for exporting pieces for cut-out animation but not for exporting same-sized images for a sequence.

If you were to duplicate an "image-sized" rectangle as the background/sizer, and use "real" layers (the ones labelled layer, not "object layers"), you could set up standard-sized "real layer" slices, but I don't know if the extra work would be worth it.

With images that have a limited set of colours, static non-animated GIF images can be better quality (and possibly smaller in some cases) than a corresponding lossy JPG image.

• 6 years later...

I am also very interested to find out if this is possible .. this old thread came up on a Google search regarding iPad animation affinity .. Has anyone found a solution for this?

I am interested in getting my Son going on his iPad as he is interested in making animations and currently wants to start out with paper flip books. For beginning cartooning, this is a great way to learn, but we would prefer digital vs paper. It seems like it would be great to get him working with Affinity art creation, and be able to create layers similar to an onion skin process, stacking up layers in a file, then automate the export process Into a motion file somehow.

Any pointers would be appreciated :)

ade_animation_p.gif.afa9ee415a39214870eb7a6c94b5a31e.gif

… a quick'n'dirty animation example in Designer v1 (on Mac, not iPad) that I posted last year. :) 

@g01d10x see the following thread, starting here: 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2