You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Path tool (pen) mask width

Doubtless simple ... but I can't find how to do it.

I'm using the Pen tool in AFPhoto to make a shape, which I want to use as a mask for a pixel layer.  I also want to use it as a mask for a fill/paint layer.

How do I alter the width of the mask/shape edge?  It is by default razor sharp.  I would like it to be somewhere between 4 and 20 pixels (not sure yet) ... so that the edge is soft.  How do I achieve this?

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

Thank you chaps!

(Very useful other post MBd ... thank you).

thanks you´re welcome

a live gaussian blur filter works as well like chaps said but I´d prefer using the fx as it is more subtle, you don´t need the mask that comes with the live filter layer anyway so the fx is the more minimal approach.

no difference in functionality apart from that though.

edit

if you use the live gaussian blur on the path, then use the path to mask another layer, you can´t access the live filter unless you drag out the curve again.

The fx stays directly editable 

there were some discussions already about why live adjustment filters on masks are not accessible, I think that should be corrected asap e.g. if you apply a curves adjustment to a traditional mask and mask a pixel layer with that mask, you can not alter the curves directly anymore, very unfortunate 

Edited by MBd

Thought of something else!

Is there a way to apply the fx blur as a gradient?

in this case you can use the live filter layer and apply a gradient to it´s mask that it comes with natively.

or you can go totally overboard and add another clipping shape to the live filter layer, add a transparent to opaque gradient to it and then use the live filter together with it´s own vector mask as a vector mask for the main image

There is one aspect of using blur to soften the edges that's not so good and that is that it blurs them.  Having a pixel width to the mask would make the mask's edge increasingly transparent toward the outer edge, but not blur it.  So the image is still sharp, but the mask is soft edged.

So I guess there's no way to achieve this in AFPhoto?

Kinda surprised, isn't this 'refine edge' of the mask (or any selection really) something that is one of the core things used in photo editing? Hopefully a staffmember will chime in on this and explain to us how simply it is to have it, can't imagine that the option is missing AP.

There is one aspect of using blur to soften the edges that's not so good and that is that it blurs them.  Having a pixel width to the mask would make the mask's edge increasingly transparent toward the outer edge, but not blur it.  So the image is still sharp, but the mask is soft edged.

So I guess there's no way to achieve this in AFPhoto?

if you apply a blur fx to the masking shape it does just fade out the transparency, it does not blur the image

- if you upload a sample image I might be able to tell what you do differently 

refine edge is another topic as were not talking about selections here but about vector masking 

if you apply a blur fx to the masking shape it does just fade out the transparency, it does not blur the image

- if you upload a sample image I might be able to tell what you do differently 

refine edge is another topic as were not talking about selections here but about vector masking 

Yes, but a mask is a type of selection, not a regular selection, but as the name says, a shape that can cover or let through specific parts. Unless AD uses the term "mask" completely different.

Yes, but a mask is a type of selection, not a regular selection, but as the name says, a shape that can cover or let through specific parts. Unless AD uses the term "mask" completely different.

but you cannot use refine edge on a vector shape 

refine edge is for pixel selections only

but you cannot use refine edge on a vector shape 

refine edge is for pixel selections only

You can actually ... it depends on how you go to the final image.

AFPhoto mixes pixel and vector, so you could apply a pixel width to a vector shape, which AFPhoto could 'interpret' for the screen preview and then rasterise to an actual pixel width when you decide to actually use your file, e.g. print, build to tiff, send a jpeg etc. etc. (alternatively known as flattening). I know this can be done, because I've been working like this in a 100% vector photo app since 1997.  (If only AFPhoto had the speed of that app, I'd be happy enough).

Sorry MBd, talking at cross purposes.

I'm simply saying that technically, there is no reason why AFPhoto cannot do this.  However, in its current state, as you say, it can not.  Who knows, perhaps Serif will move forwards towards the past and make AFPhoto more of a vector app.  Would be nice ... especially for the speed.