Sign in to follow this  
none-of-your-business

sluggish zoom

Once every minute the UI will suddenly slow down and have a gigantic lag of a couple of seconds when zooming in and out of the image. Please fix this! Half the time I can zoom just fine, half the time the UI is just super slow.

I have a 1 month old MacBook Pro with Yosemite and 16GB RAM, SSD. This should not happen.

Interestingly, my zooming is now slower than it used to be too... and the reason? I installed Yosemite... Mavericks was fast and slick at all times, but Yosemite seems to have slowed down something. So, I agree with you, it shouldn't happen, but this wasn't actually a problem that existed for our entire beta period and only appeared after launch. There's no reason for Yosemite to have slowed stuff down, but it has - I even see my safari window being slower at scrolling than it used to be in Mavericks. Hopefully Apple will fix this, but if not we can try to do something (although I genuinely can't think what - seeing as it seems to be completely out of our control)

My MacBook Pro is about 4 months old and has 8GB RAM - and I can safely say that it was utterly flawless in Mavericks.

Thanks,

Matt

Just wanted to update you on this one. After responding to you, I tried to figure out what the problem might be...

I'll start this by saying that Yosemite just is generally a bit slower at this point than Mavericks used to be, but they did speed Mavericks up after its initial release, so I'm optimistic we'll get back some performance soon :)

Here's what I noticed: It seems that when I startup Designer and choose a sample, it's fine - not what I'm used to from Mavericks, but fine. When I click on a colour in the Colour panel or Swatches panel, change a value in the Transform panel - zooming is all still fine... But if I so much as click on an item in the Layers panel, the Brush panel or the History panel, then my zoom is now dreadfully sluggish until I make some other App active, then click back onto Designer - at which point it returns to being just fine again...

Basically, there's a bug/new behaviour in Yosemite's NSTableView class and we're trying to find out what is going on, so please just give us a little time and I'm sure we can work around this issue - it's only a problem in Yosemite, and only caused by clicking on an NSTableView container. The other weird thing is that it actually seems to only be noticeable on a MacBook Pro Retina - our iMac 5K Retina seems fine 99% of the time...

Thanks again,

Matt

Just to throw this in, on my late '13 iMac (the model released just before the fancy-schmancy 5K retina iMac ), I've noticed no noticeable difference in zooming between Mavericks and Yosemite. 

2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Secondary Samsung SyncMaster B2430 display, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || USB keyboard, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball, Wacom Pro Large tablet

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Hi Matt,

We do support App Nap - open a document, don't do anything for a few seconds then start watching in Activity Monitor and things should back down... Xcode shows us supporting App Nap when we run through the debugger too. I don't think this is an App Nap thing as far as we can tell though - if you left-click in any NSTableView-derived class (even a completely new one that doesn't even have any data or cells in it) then all gestures from that point on will cause some sort of layer backing store update - which incurs a lot of memory clearing of CoreGraphics surfaces, as far as I can remember. I'm pretty certain it's a Yosemite bug but we work around it now.

Thanks,

Matt