You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Customisability Affinity UI

Hi,

xxxPlus products had AWESOME UI customisability.

Customisability of the Affinity UI is a joke compared to other Serif products.

Would love to have UI customisability back.

In particular creating custom toolbarS. Only modifying a single, already pretty filled toolbar isn't helping much.

Roberto

I had all of the xxxPlus photo programs. I was very disappointed when I discovered that Photo Plus was discontinued. Serif should add some more of what PP8 had to Affinity. Affinity has a lot going for it but the tools are hard to find. I've been looking for the straighten tool in Affinity but it is hidden. I also liked the crop tool in Photo Plus8. When I work with Affinity, I don't have time to watch tutorials all day. I need something where I can search for a certain thing and find it in print. I want to create and not just look at tutorials.

Maurice

I had all of the xxxPlus photo programs. I was very disappointed when I discovered that Photo Plus was discontinued. Serif should add some more of what PP8 had to Affinity. Affinity has a lot going for it but the tools are hard to find. I've been looking for the straighten tool in Affinity but it is hidden. I also liked the crop tool in Photo Plus8. When I work with Affinity, I don't have time to watch tutorials all day. I need something where I can search for a certain thing and find it in print. I want to create and not just look at tutorials.

Maurice

If you haven't found it yet, the straighten tool is part of the crop tool. With the crop tool selected ctrl drag out a line along the horizon. The image will now be straightened.

Hi,

I think it is worth remembering that AP was a 'ground up' Mac app originally, with an obvious focus on grabbing disgruntled Mac users (sans Aperture) and firing a shot across Adobe's bows.It was not touted as a PP replacement, even though it occupies the same space.

Positioning it as such would have caused an endless circle of PP vs. PS requirements on UI with a compromise causing massive product roadmap and strategy issues (plus file type and functionality!)!!

The UI was therefore designed (IMHO) with Aperture/PS switchers in mind bit with some fresh functions/approaches.

As such the Win AP tries to follow the Mac UI etc. as closely as possible.

IMHO PP users will have to adapt their mindset a litle, from a UI perspective and from an expectation that printed guides are provided.

Again IMO having trained users in PS/LR etc. for years - the video approach and a basic help system is the standard. I appreciate that (in general) older school users have a learning method of read and try, whereas most (not all) younger users are happier with Video tutorials.

The game has changed and AP has a chance to lead Adobe.

I assume some text based guides will be produced, but I assume the UI is 99% where Serif want it going forward.

Happy to be corrected....

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

Hmm, odd: if I remember well someone from Serif once told they never had the intentions of competing with PS because Serif is too small (man power, financial resources).

Rather they aim at the lower budget majority: starting from scratch (more powerful foundation allowing to make optimum use of new technology), powerful multi-platform software (easier to maintain software, bigger audience) for affordable prices (bigger audience).

If PS users actually consider to switch than that would only be a big bonus :-)

But now you mention the UI (and menus) are like Aperture/PS then I'm confused.

Therefore I just had a good look at the Affinity Photo menu structure (didn't get to that yet due to lack of time playing with Affinity) and compared Photoshop menus (online images) with Affinity Photo menus: I must conclude Serif arranged their very own menu structure and it only marginally reminds of the (after so many years still messy) PS menus.

The menus in Affinity Photo are highly arranged and intuitive, which I'm used to (and impressed with) in Serif menu structures. Besides, the menus also look prepared for sharing with complementary Affinity products which opens exciting doors.

The menus in Photoshop are very patchy: in all those years they refused to re-arrange the menus despite the fact that in the mean time a lot of new features have been added. They choose to squeeze the new features in the existing menus, leading to a lot of inconsistency and counter-intuitivity.

Inconsistent menus work perfectly if very familiar with (pro's/regular users are) but annoying when you need features one hardly ever uses or for those who use image editors on a less frequent base. Not everybody using an image editor is a full-time photographer or artist. There are many uses for image editors and those not making money with graphics or spending all their time on image editing likely aren't willing to pay Adobe$ for the software. Instead having an affordable powerful image editor is a delight to use if the menu structures are well arranged and intuitive. Also stimulating for starters: speedy progress motivates to stick to.

Anyways, I agree with you the UI is 99% where Serif want it going forward but I doubt that Serif is aiming at a more PS-like UI. IF they hope to attract PS users then it likely will only be based on having a solid performing image editor containing as many as possible features that the majority of PS users already use.

Roberto