You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Aph] Request: Missing Photoshop/GIMP features

I was using the beta and was pretty happy until I started looking for frequently used features from Photoshop at work and GIMP at home.

Here's stuff that's missing that would help with productivty:

• Precision guide-making. You have a "manager" that doesn't let you manage much. It'd be nice to be able to edit the exact position of those guides (Let's say I want to quickly set up guides at 25/50/75% in percent mode or just set specific pixel values to each). Even GIMP's got this!
  • "Pattern" layer style is also quite handy for the same reason as the "Fill" layer.

[Edit] Solved or has a workaround:

• Move selected option for the mouse cursor. It'd be nice to be able to tap a layer and then drag an object around without having stuff that's in the way get selected. PLEASE add the option.
  • Ability to duplicate layers between open files (and in the same position if equal size).
  • Ability to create new alpha channels. It's handy for selections or when 3D texturing to be able to use even the A in RGBA images (or in some special cases, remove one of the channels).
  • "Solid color" layer style like in PS (easier to edit than filling a raster layer with color, plus you needn't worry about resizing).

Hopefully none of these are repeats since I didn't see them on the list. Thanks for listening!

Move selected – this works already. If you select object in layers panel you can grab it through another object and move it using arrow tool.

duplicate layers between open files (and in the same position if equal size) – copy-paste works like you said. 

new alpha channels – channels are there but I think their implementation is not very straightforward.

"Solid color" layer style – Layer>New Fill layer

1. Move selected – this works already. If you select object in layers panel you can grab it through another object and move it using arrow tool.

2. duplicate layers between open files (and in the same position if equal size) – copy-paste works like you said. 

3. new alpha channels – channels are there but I think their implementation is not very straightforward.

4. "Solid color" layer style – Layer>New Fill layer

Thanks for answering. :D

1. Saw it works as long as it's click & drag. Not quite the same as the other 2 programs but good enough though.  :P
  2. Didn't expect that to work (groups and all). Cool!
  3. Finally saw that option was buried in a right click menu to create spare alpha layers. A bit odd, should be there as a button.
  4. Finally saw the fill layer, though it should be in the layers panel as an option, not a rarely seen menu item. Also of note, APhoto read it just fine as a fill layer, but it disappears when saving the PSD and opening in Photoshop. :( GIMP also had it disappear so it's just something to note when switching programs.