You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.afphoto files don't show up in Preview

Dear Friends,

I am using Affinity on a Mac. Normally I drop a folder of images into Preview to see them all at once. I recently noticed that the ".afphoto"  images don't show up. Is there a fix? Is there another image browser that sees them?

Thanks for your help.

The finder can view them, although it's just a small thumbnail, but you can always press the spacebar to see a large preview - if that helps?

High-End Photographic Prints

What exactly are you trying to do, that a maximised finder window cannot do?

I was under the impression that you simply wanted to see a preview of all the images?

If you need to do something else more specific, if you care to explain a little more, maybe I can help further :)

Dear DesignMeister

The Finder just doesn't work for me  sorting through large numbers of images.  I understand that technically it functions, but actually working with it isn't good for me. Preview does a better and more useful job. I am willing to get a third party image viewer if it gives me a useful way of sorting through and finding Affinity as well as non-Affinity images.

I appreciate your help.

Not sure I can actually help, as I'm still not quite sure what you need to do apart from viewing them?

For example, I have a folder containing 300 images. I maximise the finder window, and move the bottom right slider so that each preview images is large.

I can therefore see a large preview of every image.

There is the search bar at the top for sorting images; You can right-click and perform functions, and you can also use tags.

But as you say, this doesn't work for you.

I have never had to use any specific image viewer apps, so I'm a bit stumped as per alternatives.

The only thing I can think of is to wait for the Affinity DAM software to be released?

Sorry I cannot help any further :(

waltl,

Have you considered using OS X tags and/or saved "smart folders" for this? For example, you can create & add an unlimited number of tags for things like photo subject or location, or project or client or whatever & add as many as you want to afphoto files. Smart folders are just canned searches, so you could create a (real) folder of them set to show files with various combinations of tags.

It is sort of like a free form relational database you can customize however you want.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Dear RC-R,

Thanks for your help. My problem is not finding the Affinity images, it's seeing them clearly. The finder doesn't work nearly as well for sorting through images as Preview does. Either the thumbnails are too small to evaluate the images or they are bigger and you only see a few at a time.

I appreciate that the Finder has some functionality in perusing folders, but its not good enough to do real work with large folders of images for professional design & photography.